Chinese Battered Shrimp. Savoury, chewy, soft with a slight crisp. A delicious side dish for dinner or lunch. Ready in 20 minutes.
This is one of my favourite ways to cook shrimp! It’s covered in a egg flour batter that is seasoned with onion, garlic powder and salt. And it’s REALLY easy to make!
I love anything that is battered to be honest. Especially when it comes to seafood. It almost masks that seafood fishy taste sometimes.
This recipe is healthier that the ones you get at the restaurant where they deep fry it. Mine is lightly fried in about 3 tbsp of avocado oil.
And you can achieve a very similar texture. It’s just more softer rather than being crispy, but tastes so amazing!
I love pairing this dish with some white rice and veggies. If you’re making it for a family of four, I’d suggest doubling or tripling the quantity of ingredients.
Watch how I made this!
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients:
20 shrimps, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
Optional: red chili for garnish
Tips for Making this Dish
- Make sure to combine your dry ingredients first before adding your eggs. This allows for a smooth mixture that is well distributed in terms of seasoning
- Make sure to remove the shells and veins of the shrimp. The veins of the shrimp contain waste matter and it’s not pleasant to consume
- Pat dry your shrimp so the batter sticks well
- Coat your shrimps in the batter and let it rest for 5 minutes so the batter sticks well
- Fry over medium heat, not too high or you’ll burn your batter coating
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Chinese Battered Shrimp recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this blog.
Other Recipes You May Like!
Chinese Battered Shrimp
- 20 shrimps peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- Optional: red chili for garnish
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Whisk together. Then crack in eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Pat dry your shrimp and add it to the batter. Coat it well in the batter. Let it rest of 5 minutes.
- Then in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add avocado oil.
- Add in shrimp one at a time. Make sure to let excess batter drip back into the mixing bowl before adding to hot pan.
- Then add chopped green onions on top of shrimps while the batter is still wet.
- Fry until golden brown on one side. Then flip to fry on the other side until golden brown. Enjoy with optional garnish of red chillies