Eggplant Mozzarella. Delicious, flavourful, vegetarian, and it serves well as leftovers. It takes some time to make but well worth the wait.
The flavours of the eggplant combined with the marinara sauce and that delicious basil is wonderful!
It also works great in a sandwich or on top of pasta or as a side dish! So this recipe is very versatile!
I also found a healthier way to prepare the eggplant patties. Most recipes require you to shallow fry the breaded eggplant patties and this process requires too much oil for my liking.
Instead, I prebake them for 20 minutes. You still have to drizzle some olive oil over top to prevent burning but the amount of oil is much less.
Other recipes you may like!
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients:
1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced into patties at 1 cm thick
1 handful of fresh basil leaves
750 ml of good quality marinara sauce
2-3 eggs scrambled
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1.5 cups of japanese panko breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
Organic extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
Required: deep baking dish, silicone mat (or parchment paper)
In this recipe, I’m using Victoria Fine Foods Marinara Sauce and Terra Delyssa Organic Olive Oil. I’m a big fan of these two products. They both offer great taste and quality to my cooking. I’m also using free-range organic eggs by Nutri carried at Wholefoods.
Pin for Later!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Eggplant Mozzarella recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
- Required: deep baking dish, silicone mat (or parchment paper)
- 1 small eggplant peeled and sliced into patties at 1 cm thick
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 750 ml of good quality marinara sauce
- 2-3 eggs scrambled
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups of japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- Organic extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- Prepare ingredients as listed above. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- After you peel and slice your eggplants, it’s time to bread them. Setup 3 medium size bowls filled with the following:
- First Bowl: Flour mixed with garlic powder, oregano, and salt and pepper
- Second Bowl: Eggs scrambled
- Third Bowl: Panko breadcrumbs
- Dredge each eggplant patty into flour first, then eggs, and lastly breadcrumbs until well coated. Place onto lined baking sheet. Repeat until all patties are breaded. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over top and bake uncovered for ten minutes. Flip them over at the 10 minute mark, drizzling more olive oil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Once patties are pre-baked, leave them in the deep baking tray. Pour marinara sauce over them, add fresh basil leaves and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes. Allow it to cool a bit and enjoy!