Green Onion Chive Pancake. A delicious Chinese chewy pancake with fragrant chives. The perfect appetizer or side dish.
This is one of my all-time favourite dishes to order for Dim Sum at a Chinese restaurant. I absolutely love the texture and taste of the chewy pancakes with the yummy chives and green onions! It’s just to die for.
At Dim Sum, these Green Onion Chive Pancakes is served with a dipping sauce that consists of soy sauce and some red vinegar with sesame oil. It’s very easy to make!
My grandmother taught me how to make these when I was young and she taught me the special technique to getting those chives evenly distributed. So I will share that in the pictures below.
Other related recipes you may like!
Can I use another type of flour instead of white?
I would really recommend using white flour but you can try with whole wheat but just be forewarned that the pancakes may turn out too chewy or tough.
I would not recommend using tapioca, rice, or almond flour for this recipe.
Can I substitute the green onions or chives with another allium vegetable?
I haven’t personally tried that myself but that’s the beauty of cooking! It’s all about experimentation. If you really want to try another allium vegetable, try it with a green one like leeks but they have to be chopped up finely. Or it’ll overpower the taste and texture of the chewy pancake.
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Green Onion Chive Pancake recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
Pin this for future!
Green Onion Chive Pancake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chives chopped
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 hot boiling water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp chinese red vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add flour. Create a well in the middle of the flour, pour hot water and wait 10 minutes.
- Then pour cold water and oil in. Mix and then when dough has formed, create a ball.
- Rest it for 5 minutes and knead until dough is soft and smooth looking. Cover with a clean warm towel and rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out into a pancake.
- Brush oil over top, season with salt, and add enough green onions and chives leaving a border of 1 cm.
- Roll the pancake upwards into a cylinder, closing the ends to prevent filling from escaping.
- Roll cylinder into a cinnamon bun shape.
- Then flatten the bun with your hand.
- roll out into a pancake again. This method allows for the filling to be evenly distributed throughout. Pancake should have a diameter of 6-8 inches.
- Then in a non-stick frying pan, add remaining oil and fry pancakes on each side until golden brown. Serve with Chinese red vinegar to enjoy!