Hoisin Tofu Lettuce Wraps. Tofu lettuce wraps with a delicious hoisin flavoured tofu filling packed with carrots and bell peppers. Healthy, vegan, great for a plant based dinner or lunch. Easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes! Now if you’re not a fan of tofu or hoisin, try these other wrap recipes on my blog! They’re all delicious!
With the warmer weather approaching, my husband and I have been wanting to eat more plant-based foods. When I say warmer, I mean 5 degree C here in Ontario, Canada haha. We Canadians will be happy with any kind of warmth we can get after a -10 degree C winter (on average). Since I had some extra tofu in the fridge, I thought, ‘Why not make some hoisin flavoured tofu lettuce wraps?”
Easy to make!
This tofu lettuce wraps recipe is INCREDIBLY easy to make. Perhaps the hardest part is dicing your carrots and that’s it! I love hoisin lettuce wraps because you are only cooking the filling and that only comes together in less than 20 minutes. Then your lettuce simply needs to be washed and dried. That's all!
Great for meal prep!
This hoisin lettuce wraps recipe is a great idea for a quick weeknight meal for dinner or for lunch. You can even meal prep the tofu filling ahead of time. Then store it in the fridge and when you’re ready to have it, re-heat the filling (microwave or stovetop), wash some lettuce leaves and fill them with your filling!
Tips for making the Best Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- Use fresh quality ingredients especially for your veggies! Fresh lettuce will go a long way especially if it’s still crunchy.
- For these vegetarian lettuce wraps, I recommend using iceberg lettuce for crunch or Boston lettuce for a softer buttery like taste.
- Use extra firm tofu. This will make a big difference in regard to texture. If you use medium or even firm tofu, the tofu will be too soggy for this recipe.
- Soak lettuce leaves in ice cold water. This will give them a crunchier texture.
- Don't overfill your wraps as tempting as this may seem.
Recipes like my Lettuce Tofu Wraps
What type of lettuce is used for lettuce wraps?
Iceberg lettuce is the best for that crunchy texture but I also love using Boston lettuce and romaine lettuce.
Can you use romaine lettuce for lettuce wraps?
Yes absolutely. Romaine lettuce is a great leaf to use for lettuce wraps as they have a crunchy texture.
How do you make lettuce last longer?
Wash your lettuce and remove any damaged leaves. Then dry the lettuce thoroughly and wrap it in paper towel. Then store it in the fridge crisper.
How do I make my lettuce crispy?
Soak it in ice cold water for 5-10 minutes, strain and dry off the leaves when ready to serve.
For this Hoisin Tofu Lettuce Wrap
You will need the following vegetarian lettuce wraps ingredients:
1 head iceberg lettuce, or 2 heads boston lettuce, soaked in ice water and dried
681 grams extra firm tofu, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
1 cup carrot, finely diced
2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
2 tsp cooking oil
3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp Rice Mirin
½ tbsp Sesame oil
1 tbsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Sugar
½ tbsp Sesame seeds
Optional: crushed peanuts
How to make Tofu Lettuce Wraps
Prepare your ingredient as listed. Soak your lettuce leaves in ice water.
In a small bowl, whisk together your sauce.
Then in a large pan set over medium heat, add cooking oil along with diced extra firm tofu. Fry until each side is golden brown.
Next add in green onions, carrots and bell peppers. Fry until the veggies have softened and mix in with the tofu. Cook until all the water has evaporated from the pan.
Then pour in your sauce and raise the heat to medium high. Mix everything together and sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove filling off heat.
Strain your lettuce leaves and dry them with a clean towel. Fill the leaves with ¼ cup of filling. Optional: for extra crunch add crushed peanuts. Enjoy!
Give it a try!
Well, I hope you give my Hoisin Tofu Lettuce Wraps a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed my recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media!
Take a picture if you've made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @ChristieAtHome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating for my recipe, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Hoisin Tofu Lettuce Wraps (Vegan)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce or 2 heads boston lettuce, soaked in ice water and dried
- 681 grams extra firm tofu diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 1 cup carrot finely diced
- 2 stalks green onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Mirin
- ½ tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tbsp Sesame seeds
- Optional: crushed peanuts
- Soak your lettuce leaves in ice cold water and prepare your other ingredients as instructed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your sauce.
- Then in a large pan set over medium heat, add cooking oil along with diced extra firm tofu. Fry until each side is golden brown.
- Next add in green onions, carrots and bell peppers. Fry until the veggies have softened and mix in with the tofu. Cook until all the water has evaporated from the pan.
- Then pour in your sauce and raise the heat to medium high. Mix everything together and sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove filling off heat.
- Strain your lettuce leaves and dry them with a clean towel. Fill the leaves with ¼ cup of filling. Optional: for extra crunch add crushed peanuts. Enjoy!