Rabboki aka Korean Sweet Spicy Ramen. A ramen that is covered in a slightly thick sweet, savoury and spicy sauce. It comes together quickly in under 20 minutes. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
The ramen is covered in slightly thick spicy sweet and savoury sauce paired with fish cakes, carrots, napa cabbage and hard boiled eggs. It’s very filling and delicious!
This dish originates from Korea and it’s a popular street food. It’s also “cousins” with tteokbokki which is essentially the same dish but instead of ramen they use rice cakes. I also have a recipe for Tteokbokki if you click here.
For this recipe, you’ll need dried ramen, fish cakes, green onion, carrots, napa cabbage, soft boiled eggs, mushroom broth, and dried kelp. As for the sauce, this contains Korean gochujang paste (hot pepper paste), cane sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic and korean hot pepper flakes.
Where can I buy Korean Hot Pepper Paste and Flakes?
You can purchase this from any Korean or Asian grocery store. Just look in the sauce and spicy aisle. Both can also be purchased online but I would suggest purchasing in store as it’s significantly less expensive than buying online.
How to Store Korean Hot Pepper Flakes?
I know you’re thinking “I bought a huge bag of hot pepper flakes there’s no way I can finish all of this within a year”. Well guess what I have great news for you. You can freeze the whole pack and it’ll last you for years! No joke. I still have my pack from 4 years ago or possibly longer, I’ve count and it’s still good! A lot people do this and it also prevents food waste.
Well I hope you give this Rabboki Korean Sweet Spicy Ramen a recipe a try!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Rabokki Korean Spicy Sweet Ramen
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- 2 piece dried kelp
- 3-4 fish cakes
- 1 small carrot sliced into matchsticks
- 1.5 cups Napa cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 green onion sliced thinly
- 1 egg soft boiled
- 110 grams ramen
- 1.5 tbsp gochujang paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp korean red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl combine your sauce ingredients.
- In a medium sized pot boil mushroom broth with kelp. Add sauce and mix. Then add in fish cakes, carrots, Napa cabbage, green onion and allow this to boil for five minutes covered.
- In another pot, soft boil your egg in water for 8 minutes on high heat.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add in the Ramen and boil for four minutes until noodles are soft. Pour into your bowl and garnish with egg.