Baked Tomato Basil Pasta. Vegan, simple, healthy and tasty to make but just requires some time. Great for dinner or as leftovers for lunch.
This oven baked tomato basil pasta is definitely a dish to be made on the weekend but it’ll be worth all leftovers you reap from this dish. Especially if you have a large family!
My baked pasta with tomato basil sauce is totally vegan and dairy-free down to the cheese! You just need to find yourself some good quality vegan cheese.
If you’re not vegan you can definitely substitute with normal cheese and the results will be the same!
I also share many other pasta recipes on this blog so I hope you check them out!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE!
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients:
28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
450 grams of Penne pasta
1 small onion diced
1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp of dried oregano leaves
1 cup of dairy free cheddar cheese shreds
2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
1/8 tsp chilli pepper flakes (optional)
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 cup reserved pasta water
Salt and pepper to taste
In this recipe, I’m using Penne pasta by Delverde, organic extra virgin olive oil by Terra Delyssa, dairy-free cheddar cheese by Daiya Foods, and Bob’s Red Mill nutritional yeast as Parmesan cheese. This recipe is completely meatless.
Pin for Later!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Baked Tomato Basil Pasta recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Baked Tomato Basil Pasta
- large deep baking dish
- 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 450 grams of Penne pasta
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp of dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup of dairy free cheddar cheese shreds
- 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp chilli pepper flakes optional
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set at medium heat. Fry onions and garlic until translucent. Add in the dried oregano and chili flakes (optional). Pour in the can of whole peeled tomatoes with the juices and squash the tomatoes down with a fork and mix well. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 25 minutes until sauce has been reduced.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, boil a large pot of salted hot water. Boil your pasta for a maximum of 6-7 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of hot pasta water for later. Strain pasta in a colander and set aside.
- After sauce has simmered, add reserved pasta water, fresh basil and pasta and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour pasta into a baking dish, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow it to cool before serving. Top off with nutritional yeast and garnish with more basil. Enjoy!