As the season gets colder, I start making more soups to keep my body warm. My favourite is a simple vegetable soup containing celery, tomato, carrots over a chicken broth. This time I decided to add some fiber to this soup with the help of barley. Barley is incredibly fibrous. It’s so good to help clean that intestinal tract! By placing it in a soup, it makes eating barley much easier. For this recipe, I’m using certified humane, free range chicken thighs by Blue Goose Pure Foods. I’m also using Pacific Foods organic vegetable broth for additional flavour and organic extra virgin olive oil by Terra Delyssa.
Over the course of this year, I’ve learned that the body is all connected. I’m seeing a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor about my acne and for general health. It’s been an eye opening experience. Sometimes I call her my miracle doctor because within 3 acupuncture appointments, she’s made a huge difference in my skin. In fact, I was so used to acne scarring that I couldn’t remember what my skin was like prior to that. The reason for my poor complexion was my weakened kidney and spleen. It was not detoxifying at its optimal state causing for reflective points of my body (my face, arch of my foot, and calves) to show pain or reveal internal issues. My weakened kidney and spleen caused for terrible blood circulation feeling cold in my hands and feet. Acupuncture has been bringing energy (or “Qi” as they call it) to my organs and it’s honestly made such a difference in my overall health. I find that Traditional Chinese Medicine takes the time to find and treat the root cause of the health issue, rather than providing a quick fix to treat the symptom. Mary also recommend that I drink more soups with barley to help with my poor circulation and lo and behold, that’s what this post is all about!
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share this recipe with your family and friends across social media or by simple word of mouth. I’d appreciate it GREATLY!
Take good care,
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
CHICKEN BARLEY VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 50 MINS
- 1 chicken thigh
- 2 vine tomatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, small chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, small chopped
- 1/4 cup of barley (no soaking required)
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 5.25 cups of water
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- salt for taste
- In a medium size pot set on high heat, add olive oil. Place chicken skin side down and sear for 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium and then add barley and toast it for 2 minutes.
- Then add in all chopped vegetables. Stir until vegetables have slightly softened. Add in the vegetable broth and give it a mix. Then add in the water. Cover with a lid and bring soup to a boil.
- Lower heat to a low setting and simmer for 40 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Skim out the oils with a spoon and make sure to throw that into the compost bin and not down your skin (it’ll coat your water pipes and make your sink smell).
- Serve while warm and enjoy!