So if you’re a regular on my blog, you’ll know I’ve done a similar salad in the past but with a couple substitutions. In this post, I’m also going to teach you how to make your own salad dressing. It’s so easy! This salad is very similar to my Mandarin Avocado Spinach Salad (click here for it) but I’m using crunchy romaine lettuce instead of spinach leaves and cashew nuts instead of pumpkin seeds. This salad is definitely the 2.0 version of my former one, especially with the homemade dressing. Overall, it’s a sweet, yummy salad that will keep you coming back for more. It’s definitely a staple in my household.
Aside from my blog, my little sister is getting married and I can’t believe she’s becoming a woman! She will laugh if she read this because she will know exactly what I mean. Growing up, she’s always been one with a silly sense of humour. I remember running into her bedroom, plopping on her bed and we’d talk till late into the night about everything. From little girls who used to sing and dance in front of our parents to being married women. Time is so precious as they say, and it’s reminder to cherish each moment with our family and friends while we still can.
Alright, enough with the sappy stuff let’s get into what I’m using for this salad. For the salad, it’s mostly organic ingredients. I’ve had to use some canned mandarins and corn I had in my pantry that I needed to use up. For the dressing, I’m using Avocado Oil by Chosen Foods, instead of canola or vegetable oil. Canola or vegetable Oil may contain Palm Oil so I try to avoid it as much as possible as this industry is responsible for deforestation, animal habitat loss and climate change so make sure to check the ingredient label before you purchase vegetable or canola oil. I’m also using organic cane sugar, organic Dijon mustard, salt, diced onions and lemon juice. Blend it up and you have yourself the most delicious homemade dressing!
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you enjoy it, please share it with your family and friends.
Take good care,
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
MANDARIN AVOCADO ROMAINE SALAD WITH LEMON ONION DRESSING RECIPE
SERVES 3 (AS A MAIN) OR 6 (AS A SIDE) | PREP TIME 15-20 MINS
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cans of mandarin oranges, strained
- 1 can of corn niblets, strained
- 1/2 cup of roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp of cane sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of avocado oil
Required: Blender or food processor
- Prepare your ingredient as listed above. Drizzle some lemon juice over your sliced avocados to prevent browning.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all salad ingredients together adding the cashews in last.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the onions until smooth. Then add the lemon juice, mustard, cane sugar, and salt and blend. Next add in your avocado oil and give it one more blend until everything is smooth.
- Pour dressing over your salad and give it a good mix. Serve immediately and enjoy! Feel free to garnish with more cashews.