One Pan Chicken Rice is a meal that takes less than an hour to make and it will last you awhile. The rice is flavoured with sweet juices of tomatoes with a hint of garlic and paprika. The chicken is tender and the broth adds to the taste of the soft rice. This dish reminds me of a tomato version of risotto due to the texture of the rice. For all my recipes, I use certified humane organic chicken. I think I’ve stated why so many times I probably sound like a broken record but it’s for health reasons and animal welfare. “When you take care of your animals, they take care of you”. If you watch how caged chickens live, they’re trapped in dark claustrophobic spaces. They are rarely exposed to sunlight which is a natural bacteria killer so instead they’re pumped with antibiotics and hormones. Emotionally they are under a lot of stress and that stress causes disease and other illnesses. Sadly, that’s the meat a lot of people are eating because it’s cost effective. But for a few dollars more, you could be eating healthy cruelty-free meat that is not ridden with hormones, antibiotics or disease. If you’re interested in looking for organic and/or certified humane chicken, I usually purchase Blue Goose Pure Foods (click here for more information) and they’re available at most major Canadian retailers. I’m not sponsored by them but I believe in their product.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
ONE PAN CHICKEN RICE
SERVES 5-6 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 35 MINS
- 1 LB OF BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS (OPT FOR CERTIFIED HUMANE ORGANIC CHICKEN)
- 2 CUPS OF WHITE RICE
- 1 RED PEPPER DICED
- 1 PINT OF WHITE BUTTON MUSHROOMS QUARTERED
- 1 CUP OF THAWED PEAS AND CARROTS
- 1 ONION DICED
- 5 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
- 14 OZ OF CANNED WHOLE PEELED TOMATOES WITH JUICES
- 3 CUPS OF ORGANIC CHICKEN BROTH
- 2 TBSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 3 TBSP OF PAPRIKA POWDER
- 2 TSP OF GARLIC POWDER
- 1 TSP OF ONION POWDER
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Slice chicken thighs into large cubes. Season them with salt and pepper.
- In a large deep pan set on medium high heat, add the olive oil. Add the chicken and allow this to brown. Once they have developed some colour, add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Fry until translucent.
- Then throw in the chopped red peppers and mushrooms. Fry until soft.
- Add in the spices, followed by the rice and mix until rice is coated in the spices. Then pour in the whole peeled tomatoes with juices. Mix well.
- Pour in the organic chicken broth and stir to combine. Raise the heat to high and allow it to reach a boil. Once it reaches a boil, lower heat to simmer for 25 minutes in total. Cover the pan with a lid.
- When there are only 10 minutes of cooking time left, add in the thawed peas and carrots and place the lid back on to cook for the remainder of the time.
- Remove the pan from the stove top and season with salt and pepper to taste.