First off, can I say that I love Jamie Oliver? He posted an Oven “Fried” Chicken recipe on his Food Tube Channel and after making it with a few subtitutions, I fell in love with it. This chicken is not fried in oil yet it’s super crispy and it’s cooked through an oven, not a deep fryer. It’s a tad spicy but if my husband can handle it, so can you. It’s as crispy as Popeye’s Chicken and the best part is that you don’t have to go out and buy it. You also have the choice to use good quality chicken meat, I would definitely opt for certified humane or organic for the best flavour. I use chicken by Blue Goose Pure Foods and they offer two lines: certified humane non-organic and organic. The organic has the best taste by far. They can be found at Sobeys, Loblaws, Michael Angelo’s and many other supermarkets if you check their website.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
BAKED CRISPY CHICKEN RECIPE
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 10 MINUTES | COOK TIME 1 HOUR
ADAPTED FROM JAMIE OLIVER
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks (opt for certified humane/organic for best flavour)
- 2 cups of Cornflake Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of Cajun Spice
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
- 2 cloves of Garlic minced
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 1 tablespoon of dried Thyme Leaves
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, lay out your chicken drumsticks
- Season chicken with Cajun spice, salt, pepper, minced garlic and 1/4 cup of the cornflake crumbs (save the rest for later). Massage these ingredients into chicken. Feel free to sprinkle some olive oil to help coat the chicken better.
- Bake chicken for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix your flour and water together creating a batter
- In another large bowl, mix your remaining corn flake crumbs, olive oil and thyme together.
- Once chicken is baked and cool to touch. Roll your drumsticks in the flour water mixture to coat them
- Then cover each drumstick with crumbs and pack them in to make it extra crispy
- Lay them back on the baking sheet and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Serve with some dip and enjoy!