Portobello Mushroom Burgers are a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a burger without the beef patty. When my husband and I decided to become semi-vegetarians, beef was the first meat to remove from our diet. It was for health purposes first and now it’s also for sustainability reasons. Animal agriculture is the largest producer of greenhouse gases. Ruminent animals produce methane which is far more potent and effective at global warming than carbon dioxide. In fact, one molecule of methane is equivalent to 23 molecules of carbon dioxide! If you’re still shocked by this fact, I highly recommend watching the documentary “Before the Flood” starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Sometimes I miss the taste of beef but at the rapid rate of global warming and seeing the affects happening now only to get worse, I can’t continue with my lifestyle hoping that someone else will fix the issue. Afterall, this will affect all of us and our future children.
After quitting on beef, I feel cleaner, healthier and less bloated. I don’t have to go on diets to maintain my weight because my body doesn’t have to work as hard to break down red meat but I still exercise to keep fit. In addition, I’m able to get proteins from fish, chicken and other plant based foods. So if you ask me, do I regret giving up beef? No, not at all. Give this Portobello Mushroom Burger a shot and I think you’ll be surprised at how much you will like it.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGER
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
INGREDIENTS FOR BURGER
- 2 PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS CLEANED WITH GILLS REMOVED
- 2 KAISER BUNS TOASTED
- SWISS CHEESE
- 1 ROMAINE LETTUCE
- 1 RED PEPPER SLICED
- 1 RED ONION SLICED
- 1 AVOCADO SLICED
- 1/4 TSP OF GARLIC SALT (SEASONING FOR AVOCADOS)
- GARLIC AIOLI DIP (CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE)
- SALT AND PEPPER
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINADE
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
- 3 TBSP OF BALSAMIC VINEGAR
- 3 TBSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1/2 TSP OF DRIED THYME
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Make sure to remove the gills from the mushroom caps with a spoon before marinating.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, thyme and minced garlic together. Marinade your portobello mushrooms for about 10 minutes.
- On a wide pan set to medium heat, add some olive oil into the pan and fry portobello mushrooms flipping them every now. Fry until tender or approximately 15 minutes with lid on.
- In another pan set on medium heat, fry your onions and peppers with some olive oil until tender (approx 8 -10 minutes) with lid on. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice avocados and season with garlic salt
- Meanwhile, slice and toast your kaiser buns.
- Now it’s time to assemble your burger: spread garlic aioli onto buns, add desired amount of cheese, layer on the mushroom patty, and top off with avocados, red onions and peppers.