If you find quinoa a tad on the boring side to eat but you really want to the benefits of this super grain, well I’ve got a recipe to share with you. It’s my Rainbow Quinoa Salad served cold. So you can have it anytime without having to reheat it. It’s perfect for lunches at work.
Quinoa is incredibly healthy. Why?
- It’s a complete protein.
- It contains other essential minerals such as, iron, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and is a high source of manganese.
- Contains more protein per percentage than rice or wheat.
- It has double the calcium of wheat
In this salad are diced bell peppers, red onion, cucumbers, green onions, garlic powder and lime juice! The lime juice + the flavour of the onions give this salad that sharp but taste you need in a salad. Without it, it tastes like…”blah”. Sorry my mind couldn’t come up with another word to describe that tasteless feeling when you sink your teeth into something expecting great taste but it’s totally “blah”.
Anyway I hope you give this Rainbow Quinoa a try! I’m using Chosen Foods Organic Royal Quinoa. They are non-GMO as well and their grains are pre-washed as well (time saver!)
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any of the brands listed in this post. These products are listed because I believe in their quality as well as the company behind them.
RAINBOW QUINOA SALAD
SERVES 3-4 AS A SIDE | TOTAL PREP & COOK TIME: 20 MINS
- 1 cup of organic quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/4 of a medium size red onion, diced
- 3 stalks of green onion, chopped
- Juice of 1 + 1/2 limes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- In a medium size non-stick pot filled with water, add in your quinoa. Bring it to a boil while covered. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 18-20 mins until water has evaporated and quinoa is fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare all your vegetables. Add them to a large mixing bowl. Add in your lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder and salt.
- Pour the cooked quinoa into the mixing bowl and stir in with vegetables until well combined. Add more lime juice as desired to taste. Serve and enjoy!