A simple recipe for these delicious, easy Vegan Raw Bars. They serve well as a snack especially if you’re on the go or if you are craving something sweet.
All you need for this recipe are rolled oats, chia seeds, coconut oil, medjool dates, roasted almonds, coconut flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper.
I was so inspired by Aimee Song’s recipe for Raw Bars that I decided to make them. I’m using what I have in the house so this is definitely an adaptation to her original recipe, which you can find here. She uses sunflower seeds and quick oats but I substituted or left them out simply because I didn’t have them. I’m also adding roasted almonds for extra nutrition.
These are great as a healthy snack, a boost of energy and best of all, you can pack them for school, work or on-the-go! They do require some time in the freezer to settle them into shape before slicing.
Before I get into the recipe I like to share some benefits of the ingredients used here specifically chia seeds!
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
- “Despite their tiny size, chia seeds are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. They’re loaded with fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and various micronutrients.
- Chia seeds are high in antioxidants that help protect the delicate fats in the seeds. They also have various benefits for health.
- Almost all of the carbohydrates in chia seeds are fiber. This gives them the ability to absorb 10–12 times their weight in water. Fiber also has various beneficial effects on health.
- are high in quality protein, much higher than most plant foods. Protein is the most weight loss friendly macronutrient and can drastically reduce appetite and cravings.
- These seeds are high in protein and fiber, both of which have been shown to aid weight loss. However, studies on chia seeds have provided mixed results.
- Are very high in the omega-3 fatty acid ALA. However, humans are not good at converting this into DHA, the most important omega-3 fatty acid.”
Well I hope you give my Vegan Raw Bars a try! If you enjoyed this, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Vegan Raw Bars
- Parchment Paper, baking sheet, food processor and square shaped resealable container.
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 12 medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Pinch of salt and paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, add oats, chia seeds and coconut oil with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until oats and seeds are covered in coconut oil. Pour into a lined deep baking pan and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, de-pit your medjool dates. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process your roasted almonds until they’re grinded into finer pieces. Then pour in medjool dates into the processor and blend until nuts and dates are combined.
- After oats are roasted, allow this to cool. Once cooled, add in the medjool dates and almond mixture. Combine well with hands.
- In a resealable contained lined with parchment paper, pour your mixture in. Flatten it out with your hands or spatula. Sprinkle shredded coconut flakes over top. Seal with a lid. Place in freezer for 1 hour. Remove from freezer and slice into 9 squares. Serve and enjoy!