Back in my elementary school days, my parents would make my siblings and I some hot grilled cheese sandwiches on a cold winter day. They were crunchy on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside. Easy and quick and they don’t require many ingredients. To fortify this classic sandwich with some nutrients, I add in some tomatoes, avocado, and fresh basil leaves. Instead of using butter, I opt for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It’s a delicious and healthy sandwich – great for vegetarians too!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
TOMATO AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE WITH BASIL RECIPE
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOK TIME PER SANDWICH 6-7 MINUTES
- 1 loaf of French Bread cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1 bunch of fresh Basil leaves plucked, washed and dried
- 8 slices of good Cheddar Cheese (avoid the processed kind)
- 2-3 ripened Vine Tomatoes sliced
- 1-2 Avocados sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cut your loaf of bread into 3/4 inch thick slices
- Slice your tomatoes & avocados (remove pit) and season with salt and pepper
- Wash and dry your basil leaves and set aside
- Time to grill! On a large wide frying pan, set the heat at medium heat
- Pour about 1 tbsp of olive oil per sandwich. Once oil is hot, lay two slices of bread on the pan and swirl it around to absorb the oil.
- While bread is toasting, add slices of cheese onto each piece of bread. Allow it to melt for 1 minute. Keep checking the bottom of bread to ensure it does not burn.
- Then add your desired amount of tomatoes, basil and then the avocados
- Allow it to crisp up for another 3-4 minutes before closing your sandwich
- Using your cooking utensil, press down on the sandwich to meld all the ingredients together.