I’m so excited to share this Tomato Basil Tart with you all. It’s not that difficult to make and the end result is pretty stunning and delicious. It tastes like a Margherita pizza but on puff pastry giving it a more soft and flaky texture. This serves well as an appetizer and I would recommend finishing it within the same day as puff pastry naturally goes soggy the day after.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on
Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies
listed in this post.
TOMATO BASIL TART
YIELDS 12 PIECES | PREP TIME 30 MINS | BAKE TIME 20 MINS
- 2 PINTS OF CHERRY TOMATOES, SLICED IN HALF (Alternative: Grape tomatoes)
- 2 PUFF PASTRY SHEETS
- 1 SMALL HANDFUL OF BASIL LEAVES CHOPPED
- 2 CUPS OF SHREDDED MOZZARELLA CHEESE (DAIRY-FREE VERSION: MOZZARELLA BY DAIYA FOODS)
- 6 GARLIC CLOVES, FINELY CHOPPED
- 3 TBSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1 TSP OF SALT
- 1/2 TSP OF BLACK PEPPER
- FLOUR FOR LIGHT DUSTING
REQUIRED: BAKING SHEET 15 X 26 INCHES & A ROLLING PIN
- Chop your basil leaves and set aside.
- Next slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place in a mixing bowl. Finely chop your garlic cloves and add it to the cherry tomatoes. Pour in 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix it all together.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. On a flat surface where you roll out the puff pastry, first dust it with some flour. Roll out the pastry dough into a large sheet that will cover your baking pan. Lay the pastry sheet over your parchment paper. Neatly fold in any excess dough to create a “border” (see picture below). Lastly with a fork lightly poke holes into the base of the pastry sheet so that air can escape as it bakes and doesn’t create air bubbles (see picture below).
- Drizzle and evenly spread 1 tbsp of olive oil over your pastry sheet. Spread shredded mozzarella cheese over your pastry sheet. Next lay the halved tomatoes facing up to prevent juices from touching the puff pastry (see picture below).
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Once it’s ready to serve, sprinkle with chopped fresh basil leaves.