Hope you all had a great Father’s Day weekend! Celebrating all the amazing dads out there, whether you’ve raised a kid(s), dog, cat, bird, it all counts because the common denominator is love and care, right? Over the weekend, we celebrated with my father-in-law. We’ll be celebrating my dad in a couple of weeks as they just returned from their vacation to Alberta and British Columbia! My father-in-law is really great. He’s quiet but always so helpful especially when it comes to our dog Bear. He’s always giving Bear head massages, picking Bear up from our house everyday at 1 pm or sending him to the groomer’s monthly. We truly appreciate all his love and care towards Bear, who has seriously become my in-law’s grand puppy.
Anyway if you follow me on Instagram and watched my IG Stories you would have seen how I made this Vegan Crispy Chicken Sandwich using Gardein Crispy Tenders. These vegan tenders taste and look just like chicken tenders. I once tested them on a friend who has never tried vegan “meats” and she thought it was chicken! You can find them at most Canadian grocers in their healthy frozen aisle. For this recipe, I’m also using Ace Bakery non-GMO buns which use no artificial flavours. I love using Ace Bakery because they even have an organic bread line and they’re made fresh in store. You can find their breads at most grocers as well. Another cool product I’m using that’s vegan is Vegenaise which is vegan mayo (also found at most grocers).
Well I hope you give this recipe a try. If you enjoy it, please share it with your family and friends!
VEGAN CRISPY CHICKEN SANDWICH RECIPE
SERVES 3 | TOTAL PREP & COOK TIME 30 MINS
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup carrot matchsticks
1 granny smith apple, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 stalks celery, sliced finely
1/4 cup vegan mayo
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cane sugar
dash of salt
1 pack of Gardein crispy tenders
3 buns, toasted
1 avocado, smashed
2 cups field greens or any leafy green of your choice
3 tsp vegan butter
- Bake Gardein crispy tenders for 18 minutes at 430 degrees F, flipping them over at the midway point, 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your Apple Slaw ingredients (see above). Mix them together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, smash your avocado with a fork and set aside.
- Slice your buns, spread vegan butter on each side and toast them in a skillet at medium heat until edges are browned.
- Once the tenders have finished baking, it’s time to assemble your sandwich. Layer a couple of crispy tenders first, followed by the apple slaw, and field greens. Lastly spread smashed avocado on top layer of bread and cover your sandwich. Repeat for remaining sandwiches. Serve and enjoy!