My husband is a big veggie burger fanatic. When we used to eat beef he really enjoyed a good burger and now that we don’t we’ve found a tasty and healthy substitute for it. The base of this burger is black beans and it’s great for someone like me who has a hard time eating beans. I’ve never been a fan of them but this really helps to get my source of protein and iron. I hope you enjoy this Veggie Burger recipe.
Per 100 grams of Black Beans or Beef:
PROTEIN: Black beans carry 21 grams of protein and beef only carry 14 grams
FAT: Black beans carry 0.9 grams of fat and beef carries a whopping 30 grams
IRON: Black beans carry 8.6 grams of iron and beef only carries 1.6 grams
Black beans do not carry carcinogens, hormones nor superbugs but beef can carry all of those
WATER USAGE: Per 1 gram of protein, Beef uses up 29.6 gallons of water and black beans only use up 5 gallons
GREENHOUSE GAS EMITTED: Beef releases 15 kg of Carbon Dioxide and Black Beans only release 0.56 kg!
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
VEGGIE BURGER RECIPE
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 30 MINS | COOK TIME 16 MINS PER PATTY
ADAPTED FROM ALL RECIPES
- 4 KAISER BUNS
- 3/4 CUP OF ITALIAN BREADCRUMBS
- 1/2 OF A BELL PEPPER (ANY COLOUR OF YOUR CHOICE)
- 1 SHALLOT CHOPPED
- 3 GARLIC CLOVES CHOPPED
- 1 EGG
- 1 16 OZ CAN OF BLACK BEANS RINSED AND DRAINED
- 1/2 TSP OF GARLIC SALT
- 1/2 TSP OF CAJUN SPICE
- 1/4 TSP OF PAPRIKA
- 1/4 TSP OF SALT
- OLIVE OIL FOR FRYING
Required: FOOD PROCESSOR & POTATO MASHER
- Prepare ingredients as listed above
- Mash your black beans with a potato masher. Then finely mash it with a fork until the beans come to a thick paste (see below for a picture)
- Mix egg with garlic salt, salt, paprika and Cajun spice
- In your food processor, blend your chopped bell pepper, shallot and garlic cloves
- Mix in the bell pepper mixture with your mashed beans and stir well.
- Then add in your egg and spice mixture and combine.
- Finally add in your breadcrumbs a bit at a time until everything is thick enough to form a patty
- Divide your patty mixture into 4 sections and roll each section into a ball. Then flatten the ball and push the centre down a bit while leaving the edges as is. See below picture for final patty shape.
- If frying, on a wide pan set to medium – high heat, add in some extra virgin olive. Lay each patty in and fry each side for 7 minutes on medium heat. Patties may get a little brown or “burnt” looking but they will taste fine. If grilling, on a medium flame cook side for 8 minutes and adjust flame as needed.
- Sandwich your patty between the kaiser buns and add on any fixings you want like lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, organic ketchup – anything you please! The veggie burger is your oyster.