Veggie Sushi. Delicious, easy to make and packed with a variety of vegetables. Healthy and totally vegan. Great for dinner or lunch.
Three words: I love sushi. The taste of the soft sushi rice against the crunchy seaweed with fresh vegetables is amazing.
Sushi is very simple to make and once you get the hang of rolling your sushi you can veggie sushi at home!
This veggie sushi recipe is simple, crunchy and contains natural probiotics, believe it or not! The pea shoots are a source of probiotics, beta carotene, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and fibre! Of course, the carrots, bell pepper, cucumber and seaweed are high in nutrition as well.
Other related recipes you may like!
You’ll need the following ingredients for this recipe:
5 sheets of Nori (seaweed paper)
Veggie sushi fillings:
1/2 red bell pepper sliced thinly
1/4 cucumber sliced thinly
handful of pea shoots
1/2 peeled carrot, sliced thinly
1 measuring cup of calrose (sushi) rice
1/8 cup of rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp of organic cane sugar
1 tsp of salt
water to help seal your sushi rolls
How to Make a Veggie Sushi Roll
Lay nori on bamboo mat roller and add about 1/2 cup of sushi rice
Spread out sushi rice evenly onto nori, leaving the top and bottom edge.
At the base of your rice, add a strip of the vegetables. Try not to overload it or it will be difficult to roll.
Using the bamboo mat roller, tightly roll the vegetables in. This step is probably the most crucial to making your sushi look presentable.
Continue rolling until you reach the end. Using water or several rice granules, use it to help stick the seaweed flap against your roll for a tidy finish.
With a wet knife, slice your roll into 6-8 pieces. You’ll need to wet your knife each time you slice 1 roll. Otherwise, the edges of your maki will have rice remnants and it won’t look presentable. You can exclude the ends from the final presentation.
Enjoy with some soy sauce!
Pin for later!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Veggie Sushi recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
- 5 Nori sheets seaweed paper
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1/4 cucumber sliced thinly
- handful of pea shoots
- 1/2 peeled carrot sliced thinly
- 1 measuring cup of calrose sushi rice
- 1/8 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp of organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- water to help seal your sushi rolls
- Begin boiling your rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, slice carrot, cucumber and red bell pepper into very thin strips (0.5 x 1 cm thick). Wash and dry pea shoots.
- In a small pot add in rice vinegar and raise heat to medium high. Add in sugar and salt, stir until dissolved. Once you reach a boil, remove off heat. Pour over cooked rice and mix well.
- Then lay a piece of nori with the rough side facing up. Add rice and spread it out in the middle section of the nori sheet, leaving the edges (about 1 inch) empty.
- Place your cut veggies near the front (closest to you) on top of the rice.
- Now begin to roll. Roll your sushi tightly.
- Once you reach the end, add a bit of water to the end to seal your roll.
- Using a wet knife cut into your maki roll to create 8 pieces.