Today I’m sharing a Sneaky Veggie Tomato Cream Pasta that is vegan and dairy-free! It’s so delicious and great for picky eaters (ahem kids) who don’t want to eat their veggies because this recipe is packed with them! The sauce contains mushrooms, zucchini, tomato, carrot, onion and garlic! Great for dinner or lunch. It’s so important to eat a variety of colours from our vegetables.
Why it’s important to Eat the Rainbow
Different fruits and vegetables contain different nutrients responsible for helping the body in specific ways. To understand the responsibility of each colour, read below:
️RED: Reduces risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, improve skin, lowers risk of macular degeneration, absorbs damaging free radicals. Example: Tomatoes
ORANGE: protects skin from sun and pollution, improves immunity, promotes eye health and vision, decrease cancer risk & heart disease, promotes healthy joints. Example: oranges, sweet potatoes
GREEN: Heals tissue, detoxifies the body, provides digestive enzymes, restores energy, reduce cancer risk, boosts immunity. Example: Leafy greens, broccoli, zucchini.
BLUE/PURPLE: promotes longevity, reduces risk of Alzheimer’s, boosts memory, protects cells from damage, reduces risk of cancer, fights inflammation. Example: Grapes
WHITE/BROWN: protects against certain cancers, keeps bones strong, lowers risk of heart ailments, helps lower cholesterol, reduces inflammation, helps balances hormones. Example: Mushrooms
So this pasta is a great way to get in all your colours! I hope you give my Sneaky Veggie Tomato Cream Pasta a try.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Sneaky Veggie Tomato Cream Pasta Recipe
- Food Processor
- 500 grams lasagna noodles or pasta of your choice
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1.5 cups white button mushrooms
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 500 ml marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup plant based milk of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your food processor, finely chop all your vegetables. They should be almost minced.
- In a pot set over medium high heat, add olive oil. Then add in all your finely chopped veggies and cook until soft. Then add in marinara sauce, tomato paste, oregano and basil. Mix and cover with a lid. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to packet instructions. If you make lasagna noodles, cook for 14 minutes until al dente and I slice the noodle into bite size pieces after draining the water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your plant based milk and flour. Pour mixture into your sauce and combine well. Remove off heat. Add in your cooked pasta and mix until noodles are coated in sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs.