Last year I was introduced to applying virgin coconut oil on my skin and I haven’t looked back. I’ve been trying to avoid processed moisturizers and opting for natural ones as it is the first element my skin is absorbing. I use Nutiva’s Coconut Oil (Organic & Virgin) as a “night cream” for my body only as I find that my facial skin does not react well to it but it could work for you. My dry skin issues have significantly decreased and not to mention, it smells great!
It’s important to use non-refined coconut oil and to go with the organic, cold pressed type. It costs slightly more but it’s crucial to invest in your health. Though it’s 90% saturated fat, don’t let this scare you as studies show it’s a harmless lipid that is quickly broken down and used as an energy source in the body.
BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL
Sourced from The Amazing Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil
- When applied to skin it reduces dry skin and flakiness. Disclaimer: For some body types, Coconut Oil may not jive with their skin and can cause breakout. To test this, apply some to your jawline and if it causes any irritation over time, I would advise not using it
- Most effective and gentle makeup remover I’ve ever used on my eyes (also super cost effective if you buy the large jar!)
- Helps to heal bruising of skin and scabs
- Topical relief for Psoriasis & Eczema
- Protects & conditions hair from sun or heat damage
- Great for calming hair frizz if you apply a small amount
- If used as a mouthwash (also known as “oil pulling”) it can kill bacteria in mouth and improve dental health. Some sources say it can even whiten teeth naturally!
- Prevent body stretch marks
- Some studies have shown that it nourishes the brain! Helps with cognitive functions and prevents brain neuro-degenerative diseases in the early phases
- Contains many other health benefits from reducing cholesterol, heart disease, regulates diabetes and helps with weight loss!
- Great for dog paws! My friend suggested this tip to me. She applies coconut oil to her dog’s paws before they head out for wintry walks on the cold and heavily salted sidewalks
- Good alternative as a cooking oil.
For more benefits, check out this post: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-amazing-health-benefits-of-virgin-coconut-oil.html
If you also purchase a jar of Nutiva, 1% of sales is contributed to sustainable agriculture to support local farmers. Nutiva is Certified Organic, non-GMO Verified, Fair Traded, Gluten Free, Kosher, California Green Business, B Corp Certified, and certified to be Safe Quality Food. For more details on these certifications, please click here.
To purchase, find it at my Eco-Friendly Shop by clicking here
Note: I am not sponsored by Nutiva and this product was personally purchased. I just enjoy using it and thought it would be helpful to spread the word on this great product and their mission to improve sustainable agriculture.