Tuna Kimchi Fried Rice. A spin on your classic Korean kimchi fried rice with the addition of tuna. Savoury, delicious with a bit of tuna in every bite. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. Ready in 20 minutes or less if you have cooked rice.
I love kimchi fried rice. It's one of my favourite dishes to have when time of the essence and if I have some cooked or leftover rice in the fridge.
The tangy crunchy taste of the kimchi with the savoury rice and that meaty tuna along with the onions make for a very scrumptious dish! One that you will keep coming back to making different variations to the protein source. In fact I share a Kimchi Sausage Fried Rice and oh boy it's amazing! You need to try it.
I love eating Kimchi Fried Rice when I have a good k-drama to watch or a new episode of "Run BTS"! Something about eating Korean food while watching that really brings me comfort and joy. It's simple but something I look forward to especially during these uncertain times with the pandemic.
Food has been my comfort in 2020. It's also been amazing exploring different kinds of foods around the world through social media, YouTube, or Netflix! It's totally inspiring to see all the different kinds of foods that exist and being able to make them in the kitchen. In a way I feel like I am travelling to different parts of the world through food, even though travelling is something we can't physically do due to the circumstances.
All in all, I really hope you give my tuna kimchi fried rice recipe a try! I also share a few other fried rice recipes below so don't forget to check them out!
Other recipes you may like!
KIMCHI SAUSAGE FRIED RICE
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
SPAM FRIED RICE
THAI SPICY BASIL FRIED RICE
CHINESE CHICKEN FRIED RICE
CHICKEN PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
EGG TOFU FRIED RICE
Tips for making kimchi fried rice with tuna
- This goes against one of the main rules of fried rice but I actually prefer cooking with cooked rice. A lot of people say to use leftover cold rice but I've found that cooking with cold rice creates for a longer cooking time causing for the rice to break down possibly going soggy. When you cook with hot rice, you just need to cook it enough to combine it with your ingredients because it's already hot. I actually learned this tip from a Japanese chef via YouTube.
- Use canned tuna in oil for my kimchi fried rice recipe. I find this offers a more tasty fried rice recipe because the oil really hydrates that tuna for frying. But if you have canned tuna in water, that works too!
- Fermented kimchi works really deliciously in this fried rice giving it a nice tang but if you have kimchi that is more fresh, that works well too.
- Fry the kimchi with the onions before you add the add or other ingredients. This allows the juices from the kimchi to release into your pan to be soaked up by the rice.
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients for my kimchi and tuna fried rice:
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 can of tuna in oil
⅓ cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3-4 cups cooked short grain rice
1 cup kimchi, chopped
¼ cup kimchi juice (optional)
½ tablespoon gochujang paste (optional)
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon sesame seeds
4 tablespoon Korean mayo
2-3 fried eggs, one per serving
How to make tuna kimchi fried rice
In a non-stick pan set over medium high heat, add cooking oil followed by diced onions. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent.
Next add your kimchi and garlic and give it a mix. Cook this until the juices from the kimchi are released.
Then add tuna and break it apart. Mix the tuna into the other ingredients. Season with sugar and sesame seeds.
Finally add your rice and kimchi juice (optional). If you want a spicy tuna kimchi fried rice, add ½ tablespoon gochujang paste or more, as desired.
Then add Korean mayo, give your rice a thorough mix until it's well combined and each granule is coloured in red. Enjoy with a fried egg over top and some roasted seaweed.
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Tuna Kimchi Fried Rice recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this tuna kimchi fried rice recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you've made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @ChristieAtHome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating for my kimchi fried rice with tuna, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Tuna Kimchi Fried Rice (20 min. Recipe)
- 1 canned tuna in oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup kimchi chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3-4 cups cooked sushi rice
- ¼ cup kimchi juice optional
- ½ tablespoon gochujang optional
- ½ teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise Korean or Japanese kind
- 3 eggs fried, one per serving
- In a non-stick pan set over medium high heat, add cooking oil followed by diced onions. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Next add your kimchi and garlic and give it a mix. Cook this until the juices from the kimchi are released.
- Then add tuna and break it apart. Mix the tuna into the other ingredients. Season with sugar and sesame seeds.
- Finally add your rice and kimchi juice (optional). If you want a spicy tuna kimchi fried rice, add ½ tablespoon gochujang paste or more, as desired.
- Then add Korean mayo, give your rice a thorough mix until it's well combined and each granule is coloured in red. Enjoy with a fried egg over top and some roasted seaweed.
Did you enjoy my recipe?