Prior to my journey of eating clean, I used to think zoodles (a.k.a zucchini noodles) were “too vegan” for me but I was reminded of that saying “Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it”. This dish is addictive. The zoodles are a game changer especially with my classic garlic tomato sauce – the two compliment each other so well! When I have this dish, it still surprises me that I’m consuming all vegetables and no carbohydrates.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you’re not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
GARLIC TOMATO ZOODLES
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 25 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
ADAPTED FROM MAMA EARTH ORGANICS
- 4-6 Zucchini sliced into zoodles
- 1 tablespoon of Salt
Garlic Tomato Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 cloves of garlic sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups of canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano flakes
- 1 Handful of Fresh Basil leaves chopped
- 1 cup of grated Grand Padano cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Required tool: Spiralizer or a Mandoline Slicer to cut the zucchinis into noodles. Be very cautious if you use mandoline slicer!
- Use a Spiralizer or Mandoline slicer to cut your zucchini noodles
- Place noodles in a colander and evenly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt over noodles. Allow the noodles to absorb salt to release the water for 5 minutes. Then squeeze out the excess water but don't squish your noodles
- Time to make your sauce! Set a large skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Don't let it turn brown.
- Throw in dried oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Lower the heat, slowly pour the crushed tomatoes in. Raise heat to medium and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes
- Add in half of your basil leaves and stir
- Then add in your half of your cheese and combine well in sauce
- Throw in your noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the remaining basil and toss. Garnish with remaining cheese.