Easy Korean Seaweed Chips
Korean Seaweed Chips aka Gim Bugak. An addictive, savory, crunchy simple snack made of roasted seaweed and rice paper deep fried in oil. A popular treat in South Korea. Ready in 20 minutes! I also share how to make these in the air fryer. See notes section below.
- 4 sheets Nori or Roasted Seaweed
- 4 sheets Rice paper
- 1 cup avocado oil or any neutral tasting oil
- Water to moisten rice paper
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt (or sub with table salt) add more as needed
- ½ tsp toasted sesame seeds
On a clean working surface, lay out a sheet of roasted seaweed, rough side up.
Soak rice paper in warm water just until wet then remove from water (do not oversoak). Quickly place it over the roasted seaweed sheet. Press down on rice paper until it sticks to seaweed. Fold the corners of empty seaweed inward and the sides of the hanging rice paper inward.
Transfer to a cooling rack to dry as you work on other pieces.
Dry until the rice paper isn’t sticky to touch, this will take some time. Tip: Use a blow dryer or a heat gun, blow dry the rice paper until dry on the hottest setting.
Using clean kitchen scissors cut each sheet into equal sized triangles.
Over medium heat, add avocado oil and once it’s hot (place a wooden chopstick and look for bubbles). Deep fry the triangles rice paper side down until they become crispy, white with a very slight light brown tone, about 10-15 seconds. Do not over fry until it's dark brown or it'll taste burnt.
Transfer chips to a cooling rack to drain excess oil (excess oil will create soggy chips). Season with salt to taste and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
These are best consumed same day. If you wish to store, pack in a Ziplock bag and store in freezer.
Can I make these in the air fryer?
Yes! They won't become crackly or bubble but they will be crispy and healthier! Follow these instructions:
- Lay out a sheet of roasted seaweed on a clean working surface.
- Soak rice paper in warm water just until wet and apply to roasted seaweed. Press down until the rice paper sticks to seaweed. Fold any hanging seaweed or rice paper inward.
- While the rice paper is still moist, sprinkle enough salt and sesame seeds across the sheet.
- Allow this to dry or blow dry until rice paper is no longer sticky.
- Use a sharp knife or scissor to cut into triangles.
- Place them flat in the air fryer basket, do not overlap. Lightly spray chips with oil. Then place a wired rack that fits your air fryer basket on top of the chips. This prevents the chips from flying around touching the hot element.
- Air fry at 350 F for 3 minutes until crispy.
Please leave a 5 star review (be kind)! Tag me on social media @christieathome as I'd love to see your creations!
Please do not copy and paste my recipes or use my photos in your own site/blog or social media. If you use my recipe for adaptation, please provide a link back to my recipe and re-write in your own words. Thank you.
Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1.8g | Fat: 0.18g | Saturated Fat: 0.036g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.18g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.036g | Cholesterol: 1.8mg | Sodium: 252mg | Potassium: 18mg | Fiber: 0.36g | Sugar: 0.018g | Vitamin A: 162IU | Vitamin C: 0.18mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.54mg