Creamy Mushroom Sage Pasta. Delicious, vegan and dairy-free. Perfect for dinner and comes together in 30 minutes!
There are days when I feel that I need to up my pasta game. I tend to resort to a tomato based pasta sauce which can be redundant, if you’ve had it too many times. I’m also allergic to tomatoes (yet I still eat them) and I learned it’s a “Nightshade” food. What’s a Nightshade? It’s a type of food that causes inflammation to the body for certain individuals. Nightshades include eggplant, potatoes (not sweet potatoes), bell peppers, gogi berries, gooseberries and more. Signs of inflammation can range from an upset stomach, acne, bloating and more. Of course, before you stop eating nightshade foods altogether, reassess your body to check for immediate symptoms. For me, after eating a big bowl of spaghetti I would experience mild tummy ache and skin blemishes and I realized it wasn’t normal after almost 30 years! For more information on Nightshade foods, check out Butter Nutrition’s blog post by clicking here.
So instead of using tomato sauce, I created a cream based pasta that is dairy-free. But using almond or soy milk makes the sauce smell of almonds or soy, causing the sauce to taste a little off. I tried using organic canned Coconut Milk and ummm WINNER! It worked so well with the mushrooms, sage and spinach. It does have a coconut smell but it’s not off-putting to me. I prefer it much more than almond or soy milk.
For this recipe, I’m using organic cremini mushrooms, frozen spinach, Terra Delyssa Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pacific Foods vegetable stock, Thai Kitchen whole Coconut Milk, shallots, garlic powder and Barilla non-GMO fettuccine pasta.
Well I hope you give this Creamy Mushroom Sage Pasta a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a review with a star rating! I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this blog.
Creamy Mushroom Sage Pasta
- 1 pint organic cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
- 2 shallots roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach
- 450 grams 1 box of fettuccine pasta
- 2 cups organic whole coconut milk mix together coconut milk and the separate coconut fat until well combined
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup reserved hot pasta water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Boil pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of hot pasta water and set aside. Strain pasta.
- In a large sauce pan set on medium heat, add your olive oil. Fry shallots and sage until shallots are translucent. Next add in mushrooms and fry until browned, approx 5 mins.
- After add in frozen spinach and allow it to thaw out in pan. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour in vegetable stock, followed by coconut milk (Tip: whisk coconut milk until fat and milk are well combined before adding to the pan). Mix well. Add in the reserved pasta water to thicken sauce.
- Throw in strained pasta. Combine well. Serve and enjoy!