Chinese Tomato Egg Stir-Fry. Soft silky eggs stir fried in a sweet tangy tomato sauce with green onions. Ready in 15 minutes!
My mother used to make this classic Chinese egg dish for our family of 5 all the time! She added some beef to her version, but my Chinese Tomato Egg Stir-Fry is meatless. It was delicious paired with some steamed rice and still brings back warm memories around the dinner table today.
Quick & Easy to make!
This Chinese tomato egg stir fry only takes 15 minutes or less to make! The cooking process takes just 7 minutes in ONE PAN!
What does it taste like?
Picture silky soft scrambled eggs swimming in a delicious glossy sweet tomato sauce comprised of ketchup, sugar, ginger, green onions, and salt. This is one of the most underrated Chinese egg recipes online and it’s a must try if you love Chinese cuisine!
What do you eat it with?
This stir fry egg with tomato sauce is best served with some hot steamed rice.
What you’ll need
The below ingredients are required for this Chinese egg tomato scramble. ***Please scroll down to the below Recipe card for full measurements***
- Roma tomatoes
- green onion
- sesame oil
- vegetable oil
- white granulated sugar
How to cook tomato egg stir fry
Below are visuals to show you how to make stir fried tomato with egg. ***Please scroll down to the recipe card below to find full instructions and details***
Below are tips on making this Hong Kong tomato egg recipe:
Prepare sauce in advance
Since the cooking process only takes 7 minutes, it’s best to combine the Stir Fry sauce in advance so you can quickly add it to your tomatoes.
Do not overcook the eggs
We want smooth silky eggs for this dish. So once the eggs form shape and are still glossy in the center, remove them from the pan. They will be cooked again in the sauce later.
Cook tomatoes until softened
It’s important to cook the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes until the skin starts to soften and peel away from the tomato. We want the juices from the tomatoes to release into the sauce.
Below are frequently asked questions about this stir fried tomato and scrambled eggs:
Can I add more protein to this dish?
Sure, thinly sliced beef, chicken, pork, or diced tofu could work well.
What kind of tomatoes do you use?
I like using sweet, ripened Roma tomatoes for maximum flavour! But feel free to use what you have on hand and add more sugar to taste if the tomatoes are not sweet enough.
Other recipes you may like!
If you enjoyed my fried eggs with tomatoes and onions:
I hope you give my Chinese Tomato Egg Stir-Fry a try and enjoy it!
If you enjoyed my Chinese tomato egg stir fry recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture of your re-creation and make sure to tag me @ChristieAtHome in your feed or stories as I would love to see it!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
- In a bowl, mix Sauce ingredients (as listed) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, crack your eggs and add sesame oil. Beat the eggs & sesame oil for 20-30 seconds.
- In a pan set on medium heat, add 1 tsp of oil. Once oil is hot, add beaten eggs. Cook by stirring and folding in the edges until eggs take shape and glossy in the center. Remove them from the pan.
- Back into the pan, add remaining oil and green onions. Cook for 5 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and water. Allow the tomatoes to cook for 2-3 minutes until they have softened, and skin begins to peel away.
- Pour sauce over tomatoes. Allow sauce to simmer & thicken slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Once slightly thicker, add eggs and gently fold them into the sauce and tomatoes. Remove from heat. Serve & enjoy. Optional: garnish with more green onions.