Dill Chickpea Salad. Mashed chickpeas dressed in a delicious tangy mayo dressing with dill pickles and fresh dill! Ready in 10 minutes!
A fantastic creamy salad that can be served as a main dish, side dish or snack. Perfect for meal plans.
An easy chickpea salad recipe that can be made in one big bowl! It contains such a fresh flavor thanks to the fresh herbs. It works well as a healthy lunch or for dinner time. If you sandwich the salad between slices of bread or pita bread, it'll make a tasty veggie sandwich.
Or you can serve this with some chips or crackers for a nice crunch! I actually love to serve the salad in a medium bowl with rice crackers and they pair perfectly. The hardest part will be controlling yourself from not wanting to eat it all! It is actually the only way I enjoy chickpeas as I'm not the biggest fan of them, believe it or not.
Great for Meal Prep
If you're looking for healthy recipes for meal preparation, this one is it! It lasts up to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge and it actually tastes better the next day as the chickpeas absorb the dressing ingredients. The best part about this dish is it's simple, packed with flavor and contains many ingredients that you would have in your pantry.
It's that time of the year, when they're looking for healthy new ways to improve their nutrition. This is one of those easy recipes that is packed with fresh ingredients and can be eaten with a green salad or with whole wheat bread. A great way to get more dietary fiber!
If you're looking to reduce the fat content, sub the mayo with a low-fat yogurt of your choice. You can also add more vegetables to this salad such as celery, cucumbers, red bell pepper, fresh parsley, grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. If you want to make it a quinoa chickpea salad, toss in some cooked quinoa, the possibilities are endless!
Please scroll down to below recipe card for full measurements:
- Canned chickpeas: these are also known as garbanzo beans. Most grocers or online retailers, like Amazon, will sell cans of chickpeas.
- Fresh dill finely: lots of fresh dill is really important for this recipe! It's the star ingredient. So I wouldn't skip on this.
- Mayonnaise: You can use normal mayo or vegan mayo to make this completely vegan. Vegan mayo is sold at select grocery stores.
- Dill pickles: The tangy dill pickle flavor really takes this chickpea salad to the next level thanks to the acidity. Do not skip! You can substitute with other flavored pickles. If you can't have pickles, feel free to substitute with finely diced crisp cucumbers and add more vinegar to taste. Another substitute that could work is crunchy celery.
- Red onion: The red onion adds a delicious sharpness to the can of chickpeas which have a beany like flavor. If you don't have red onions, you can green onions. White or yellow onions may be too strong so if you do use those, soak them in some water first. But red is highly recommended for best results.
- Vinegar: White vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar will work. If you don't have vinegar, you may substitute with lemon juice for acidity. While you're at it, add some of that lemon zest too!
- Honey Dijon Mustard: This adds a nice bitterness to balance out the tangy flavors of the chickpea bowl. It can be found at most Western grocers.
- Salt: to season the salad and helps to bring out the flavors of other ingredients more.
- Black pepper
- Crackers or Chips (I like pairing mine with rice crackers for a nice added crunch)
- Slices of bread or toast
- Pita Bread
- Lettuce wraps
- Green salad
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for my Dill Chickpea Salad for full instructions.
Rinse your canned chickpeas with cold water several times to remove the odor from the chickpea liquids. Strain them.
In a large bowl, smash your strained chickpeas with a potato masher until mashed to the consistency that you desire. You may also pulse them in a food processor.
Add in all remaining ingredients. Mash and mix it altogether until well combined. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
Tip: if you’re serving this at a party serve the chickpea mash in a separate bowl and allow guests to scoop onto the crackers, bread or chips as the moisture from the filling will can cause sogginess
Other Chickpea Recipes You May Like
If you enjoyed my Chickpea Dill Salad, you may enjoy these other chickpea recipes:
- Chickpea Bell Pepper Salad
- Instant Pot Butter Chickpeas
- Vegan Indian Butter Chickpeas
- Curry Chickpea Cauliflower
Easy 10-min. Dill Chickpea Salad
- 398 ml canned chickpeas aka garbanzo beans
- ½ cup mayonnaise or sub with vegan mayo or for a healthier alternative low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup dill pickles finely diced
- ¼ cup red onion finely diced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp honey dijon mustard or sub with Dijon mustard with a ½ tsp of honey
- ⅓ cup fresh dill finely chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Feel free to serve this salad with any of the following ideas:
- Crackers (I like pairing mine with rice crackers for a nice added crunch)
- Bread cut into slices
- Rinse your canned chickpeas with cold water several times to remove the odor from the chickpea liquids. Strain them.
- In a large bowl, smash your strained chickpeas with a potato masher until mashed to the consistency that you desire. You may also pulse them in a food processor.
- Add in all remaining ingredients into the large bowl. Mash and mix it altogether until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with the above suggested pairing ideas!