Korean Corn Cheese. Sweet corn simmered in buttery melty cheese with imitation crab meat. Ready in just 10 minutes on the stove!
Imagine a delicious sweet creamy corn mixture with melting cheese on top served bubbly hot. Served as one of the side dishes with your main dishes. It's a recipe that will make all your guests very happy.
Ready in 10 minutes!
A savory dish served at many Korean BBQ places but in just 10 minutes with simple ingredients, you can now have this at home!
Easy Korean Cheese Corn
This easy Korean corn cheese is super easy to make. It comes quickly comes together with canned corn and shredded cheese. I love this cheesy corn because of the simplicity of the ingredients.
Popular at Korean restaurants
This Korean corn cheese dish is widely popular at many Korean BBQ restaurants and within Korean food in South Korea. It's usually eaten as a side dish with your grilled meat and usually placed on the side of the grill.
Korean Corn Cheese Stovetop Version
Many recipes call for you to use an oven safe cast-iron skillet or a cast iron pan with an oven to broil the cheese. However, the best part about my recipe is that you won't need either! You just need a frying pan with a lid, and a stovetop!
Not a fan of imitation crab meat? Omit it!
The corn kernels will taste just as good without it if you're not a fan. But if you are a fan, the imitation crab meat compliments the dish well by elevating the overall flavours.
For this recipe you’ll need the following Korean corn cheese ingredients. Please scroll down to recipe card below for full measurements.
- Canned corn or substitute with in-season corn if you don't mind the extra time and effort. The sweetness of the corn makes a big difference in this dish so I like using canned corn or fresh sweet corn for this recipe.
- Mozzarella cheese shreds: I like using grated fresh mozzarella cheese. This makes this recipe super easy! But feel free to use what you have and grate yourself if needed. If you're shopping for cheese, it's best to use the low-moisture mozzarella for this dish so there's less moisture in the pan to evaporate.
- Butter: I prefer using unsalted butter for less sodium but feel free to use salted if that's all you have.
- Imitation crab meat, optional: I love adding this ingredient but feel free to omit if you'd like! It adds an umami flavor and a chewy texture as well as color. Most Asian and select Western grocers will carry this item.
- Kewpie mayonnaise or Japanese Mayo: A delicious ultra creamy mayonnaise that is only made with yolk and no whites making it different from normal mayo.
- However, if you can't find this type of mayo in your area, feel free to substitute with the normal kind. Most Asian grocers and select online retailers, like Amazon, will carry Kewpie mayo or Japanese mayo.
- White Granulated Sugar: A little bit of sugar helps balance this recipe.
- Black pepper: This helps flavor the dish a bit more and helps to balance out the creaminess of the mayo.
How to make Korean Corn Cheese
Below are brief steps with visuals to show you how to make Korean BBQ corn cheese. Please scroll down to the recipe card below to find full instructions and details.
- Strain your canned corn of the excess water and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Chop your imitation crab meat into chunks, about 2 cm in length. This is optional.
- Over medium heat in a non-stick pan, melt the butter.
- Add strained corn and mix with butter.
- Then add mayo, sugar, black pepper, imitation crab meat (optional) and combine corn with these ingredients.
- Cook until liquids have evaporated or for 4 to 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Add half the amount of cheese and mix.
- Lower heat to LOW. Add remaining cheese on top. Cover to melt it for about 2-3 minutes. Serve & enjoy!
Below are tips on making my Korean corn cheese recipe:
Chop imitation crab meat into chunks
This allows for an even distribution of the crab meat and makes it easier to break up in the pan
Use a non-stick pan
This will prevent a sticky mess to clean up later. Trust me you won’t want to spend 10 minutes of your time scraping off stuck-on cheese.
Strain liquids in canned corn
This reduces the cooking time in the pan. If you don’t strain the liquids, it’ll distort the taste and cause for additional time to evaporate the liquids possibly overcooking your corn.
Below are frequently asked questions about this butter cheese corn Korean:
How long will this dish last?
It's best consumed within 24 hours. But you may store up to 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. To reheat, reheat on the stovetop until hot or in the microwave for 2 minutes.
What kind of corn did you use?
This Korean corn cheese with canned corn makes for a much easier method of cooking this dish. But you can use sweet fresh corn on the cob. To be specific, I’m using the brand Green Giant “Corn Niblets”
Can I use normal mayo?
May I omit the imitation crab meat?
Yes! It’ll taste just as good without it.
Can I use dairy-free butter?
Other Corn recipes you may like!
If you enjoyed this Korean cheese corn recipe:
10-min. Easy Korean Corn Cheese
- Strain your canned corn of the liquids.
- Chop your imitation crab meat into chunks, about 2 cm in length. This ingredient is optional.
- Over medium heat in a 10-inch non-stick pan, melt the butter. Add strained corn and mix with butter.
- Then add mayo, sugar, black pepper, imitation crab meat (optional) and mix.
- Cook until liquids have evaporated, about 4 minutes, uncovered.
- Add half the amount of cheese and mix with corn.
- Lower heat to LOW. Add remaining cheese on top. Cover to melt it for about 2 minutes. Serve & enjoy!