Spicy Tuna Kimbap. This popular tasty Korean nori wrapped roll contains spicy tuna, spinach, egg, carrots and seasoned rice. It's perfect for lunch, dinner or as a side.
I love this kimbap roll! It's one of my favourite kimbap flavour combinations especially if you're a big fan of korean spicy tuna kimbap.
My korean spicy tuna kimbap recipe is really simple, filling and tasty to make! You just need some key ingredients that you can source from the Korean or Asian grocer. I share where to find these ingredients below.
There are so many different types of Kimbap out there. There's bulgogi kimbap, crab meat kimbap, egg kimbap, kimchi kimbap - the list goes on! You can really add whatever you want to a kimbap roll.
It's a very popular in Korea and similar to sushi but not really. It's more on the savoury side and I love eating it warm!
Now if you're super lazy and you don't even want to attempt to roll the Kimbap, you can try my Deconstructed Korean Tuna Kimbap Bowl
Other recipes you may like!
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients for my spicy tuna kimbap recipe:
2 eggs, whisked and fried
1 cup carrots, sliced into very thin matchsticks
3-4 cups cooked short grain white rice
1.5 tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp salt
1 can Korean tuna in oil
3 tbsp Japanese mayo
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 cup frozen spinach
4 nori sheets
Where can I find these ingredients?
Japanese Kewpie Mayo is usually found at most Asian, Japanese or Korean Grocers like H-Mart!
Nori Sheets can be found at most Asian, Japanese or Korean grocers in the dried seaweed section.
How to make spicy tuna kimbap
It's really simple. You want to pre-cook your rice and season it with sesame oil and salt. Then you want to let it cool down so it's not steaming hot as this will impact your nori sheet by making it moist causing it for it to tear as you roll. So let your rice cook down.
As it is cooling you want to sauteed your carrot matchsticks, boil your spinach and strain it, fry your whisk eggs and cut it into long strips and prepare your tuna mayo mixture.
Once that's done, on a dry surface lay out your nori sheet with the rough side up. This allows for the rice to stick better to the rough side. Spread a thin layer of rice so it covers your whole sheet except 1 inch of the ends of the sheet.
Lay on your egg strips first, then your carrot matchsticks, spinach, and tuna mixture in a line formation. Be careful not to add too much or the roll will be too big to eat.
Then roll your roll with dry clean hands tightly. Work slowly. Keep rolling until your reach the end and let the roll sit allowing the moisture from the ingredients to "seal" your roll. If the end of your roll doesn't stick, use pieces of rice to make it stick.
Using a sharp, wet knife (this is important) slice your pieces and enjoy!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Spicy Tuna Kimbap recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you've made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Spicy Tuna Kimbap
- 2 eggs whisked and fried
- 1 cup carrots sliced into very thin matchsticks
- 3-4 cups short grain white rice cooked
- 1.5 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 can tuna in oil
- 3 tbsp mayo Japanese
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 4 nori sheets
- Cook your rice and season with sesame oil and salt. Allow this to cool.
- In the meantime, saute your carrot matchsticks over low heat until soft. Set aside.
- Boil the spinach in water for 1 minute, strain over a fine sieve to remove all liquids. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together your tuna, sriracha, mayo until well combined. Set aside.
- In a frying pan over low -medium heat, pour your whisked eggs until it fills the whole pan. Allow this to fry on each side until golden yellow. Then flip. Cut the egg into long strips.
- On a dry flat surface, lay out your nori sheet. Spread your cooled rice over top to cover most of the nori sheet leaving 1 inch of the ends empty.
- Place your egg strip on top, then a line of carrots, a line of frozen spinach and your tuna mixture over top.
- Roll tightly and slowly. Once the roll has reached the end, allow it to sit before slicing so the moisture from the rice can seal the roll.
- When ready to slice your roll, wet your knife and then cut into it. Repeat this process.