Air Fryer Ginger Miso Salmon. Flaky salmon air fried in a delicious, sweet honey ginger miso glaze. A delicious main dish that easily comes together in 15 minutes in the air fryer.
What is Ginger Miso Salmon?
Ginger Miso Salmon is a scrumptious salmon fillet marinated in a sweet and savory seasoned ginger miso paste. It's air fried to perfection and best enjoyed as a main dish with some steamed rice and your favorite vegetables. If you're a fan of salmon, easy dinners and air fryer recipes, then you'll love this Air Fryer Miso Salmon! Busy weeknights call for this delicious Asian-inspired salmon dish because it's so simple!
This salmon recipe is one of my all time favorites to make! The miso gives the tender salmon that umami flavor making it hit the spot while the ginger really balances the taste of the savoriness. I love making this quick and easy recipe whenever I have a gorgeous salmon fillet sitting in the fridge or when I feel like having some fish over meat.
Please scroll down to below recipe card for exact measurements.
Note: Most Asian grocers will carry these ingredients. You may find some at your select grocery store or online, like on Amazon.
- Salmon filet: I suggest using fresh thick fillets for best results and flavor. About 1 inch thick as there are different thicknesses. You may use salmon steaks too or frozen salmon filets but fresh fish is the best for this recipe. I usually purchase mine from H-Mart and I opt for sushi grade salmon for best quality.
- Honey: I suggest using quality plain honey. You can use manuka honey too. If you don't have honey, brown sugar or maple syrup could work as well.
- Yellow miso, reduced sodium version: Fermented soy beans are the main ingredient of miso paste. There are a few types of miso such as white miso paste or red miso, but we are using reduced sodium Yellow Miso Paste. It's important to use the reduced sodium version since we're adding soy sauce.
- Mirin: This is a sweet, reduced Japanese rice wine that tastes nothing like wine but offers a wonderful, sweet flavor. A little bit goes a long way!
- Sesame oil
- Cooking Sake: This is a Japanese cooking wine.
- Regular soy sauce: or substitute with low sodium soy sauce or light soy sauce. If you’re gluten-free, substitute with tamari sauce, coconut aminos or a gluten-free soy sauce of your choice.
- Fresh Ginger: The fresher the better for a ton of flavor! In Asian cuisine, we use this ingredient to remove gamey or fishy odors in meat or fish.
- Black pepper
How to make Ginger Miso Salmon
Pat Dry Salmon Filet
Pat dry the salmon filet completely with paper towels.
In a small bowl, combine Glaze ingredients until well combined. If you have extra time, marinate the salmon in the glaze for 30 minutes for best flavor in a resealable bag in the fridge and skip Step 5 below.
Prepare Air Fryer Basket for Easy Cleanup
Line only the base of your air fryer basket with a square piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil. Make sure to only lining the base of the basket, not the sides to prevent the paper or foil from touching the hot elements.
Transfer Salmon Filet into Basket
Transfer salmon filet into air fryer basket, skin side down. If you have multiple pieces, place salmon fillets in a single layer.
Brush Glaze on Top
Brush the top of the fish with enough Glaze. If there is excess glaze, you can simmer this is a saucepan until it bubbles for as extra Sauce to serve with the salmon.
Air Fry Salmon
Air fry for 9-11 minutes at 400 F or until you reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. No flipping needed.
Serve & Enjoy!
Serve this with steamed rice and leafy greens or any veggies you enjoy!
Storage & Reheating
This dish will last up to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, microwave for 2-3 minutes or air fry at 350 F for 4-5 minutes until hot.
What is miso salmon made of?
Miso salmon consists of salmon, miso, sake, mirin, soy sauce, with a sweetener. To enhance the taste of miso salmon, we're adding lots of ginger, garlic, and sesame oil.
What kind of miso paste did you use?
For this recipe, I'm using the below Yellow reduced sodium miso paste. I wouldn't suggest using regular miso paste that is high in sodium since we're adding soy sauce to the recipe.
Which air fryer do you use?
I use the Phillips Twin Turbo Digital Air Fryer. You can find the one I use if you scroll down to the Recipe card and look under Equipment.
Can I marinate salmon overnight?
I wouldn’t recommend it as it can turn mushy. Only marinate for 30 minutes at most. Place the salmon and the Glaze or in this case your ginger miso marinade into a Ziplock bag massaging the marinade into the salmon. Then store it in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate. This will make this salmon dish very flavorful!
What can I do with the Excess marinade or Glaze?
You can place the rest in a saucepan, bring it to a simmer and once it bubbles, remove it off the heat and pair it with your salmon.
Can I make this gluten free?
Yes, replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos or tamari sauce which are both gluten-free by nature. The remaining ingredients in this recipe are all gluten-free but it's always best to check the label of the ingredient.
My air fryer ginger miso salmon is dry! Help!
Air fryer companies make their appliances differently so yours will heat differently from mine. Therefore, my cooking time may vary from your cooking time. I like to give a range when it comes to air frying for this reason.
Aim for 9-11 minutes or until your salmon cooks to internal temperature of 145 F. Check the internal temperature at the 9-to-10-minute mark. If it reaches 145F, remove it from the air fryer to prevent overcooking.
Can I bake this miso ginger garlic salmon?
Yes. The only thing is that I suggest is to marinate for 30 minutes. Shake off the excess marinade and place the salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil (do not cover). Bake at 400 F for 10-15 minutes until you reach an internal temperature of 145 F.
Can I make pan-seared salmon?
Yes, I would suggest marinating for 30 minutes. Shake off the excess marinade and pan fry the salmon in a non-stick pan over medium heat to medium-high heat on both sides until it's pale pink and an internal temperature of 145 F, about 5-6 minutes per side.
Other fish recipes you may like!
15-min. Easy Air Fryer Ginger Miso Salmon
- 250 grams salmon filet 1 inch thick
- Pat dry the salmon filet completely with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine Glaze ingredients until well combined. If you have extra time, marinate the salmon in the glaze for 30 minutes for extra flavor in a resealable bag in the fridge and skip Step 5 below.
- Line only the base of your air fryer basket with a square piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil. Make sure to only lining the base of the basket, not the sides to prevent the paper or foil from touching the hot elements.
- Transfer salmon filet into air fryer basket, skin side down. If you have multiple pieces, place salmon fillets in a single layer.
- Brush the top of the fish with enough Glaze. If there is excess glaze, you can simmer this is a saucepan until it bubbles for as extra Sauce to serve with the salmon.
To bake in the oven:Place the glazed salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil (do not cover). Bake at 400 F for 10-15 minutes or until you reach an internal temperature of 145 F.
Suggested Equipment & Products
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.