Chinese Salt & Pepper Fish. Delicious with a spicy kick to it, crispy and flavourful. Takes only 30 minutes to whip up and is perfect for dinner or leftovers!
This is a popular Chinese dish served at Asian restaurants and it pairs deliciously with some steamed white rice and saucy vegetables.
Other recipes you may like!
For this recipe, you’ll need certified sustainable cod filets with the MSC blue fish label, garlic, red chillies, ginger, spring onions, cane sugar, salt and pepper, dry sherry, avocado oil, egg and cornstarch.
I am teaming up with the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) for this recipe! They have kindly sponsored it. As you know I’m a big supporter of clean oceans and healthy fish that is ideally caught in the wild in a manner that respects our oceans and that’s why I’m happy to be working with the MSC; they are a global non-profit organization that works to reverse overfishing, keep oceans healthy, and protect our last major food source that’s truly wild: seafood!
This month is #NutritionMonth and the MSC is highlighting how seafood is a healthy alternative to traditional land-based proteins – and by choosing MSC certified sustainable seafood, you’re making a choice that is good for you and the ocean too
Why should you purchase sustainable seafood?
MSC Blue Fish Label ensures that the seafood you are consuming is caught sustainably not damaging the oceans and other surrounding wildlife.
When you choose seafood with the @MSCbluefish label – this means it’s certified sustainable, wild and traceable to its source, so it’s good for the oceans, too. By purchasing products with this label, it is a direct vote for healthy oceans and it’s so easy to do!
It’s a small gesture but it has a huge impact on our ocean health. Just look for the #MSCbluefish label when shopping to make a certified wild, sustainable, and traceable choice! Know that your purchase is supporting a well-managed, sustainable fishery that works hard to conserve the marine environment
This way you can feel good about your seafood purchasing decisions. It’s #FeelGoodSeafood!
Did you know that fish is good for you?
The Seafood Nutrition Partnership recommends eating seafood at least two times a week. Why?
- Research shows that eating seafood at least twice per week reduces the risk of death from any health-related cause by 17 percent.
- Seafood includes vital nutrients needed for health and wellness at all ages, including protein, omega-3s, B vitamins, and minerals like iron and selenium. These nutrients are essential for strong bones, brain development, and healthy heart and immune systems.
What makes seafood a healthy protein choice?
- Seafood is an excellent protein source because of its versatility and ease of cooking. Fish and shellfish are lean sources of protein. The fats in fish are heart-healthy omega-3, which are anti-inflammatory and have many benefits.
- Fish is high-protein, low-fat food that provides a range of health benefits. Most white-fleshed fish are lower in fat than any other source of animal protein, and oily fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids, or the “good” fats.
- When it comes to fish with the highest levels of omega-3s, there’s salmon, mackerel, and swordfish, to name a few.
- According to the FDA, there is more vitamin B12 and vitamin D in seafood than any other type of food.
Where can you find MSC certified sustainable seafood in Canada?
• Loblaws (includes Real Canadian Superstore, Fortinos, Provigo)
• Whole Foods Market:
• No Frills & Zehrs
BRANDS TO LOOK FOR:
President’s Choice Black Label
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Chinese Salt & Pepper Fish recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Pin for Later!
Chinese Salt & Pepper Fish
- 4 pieces
MSC certified cod filets sliced into bite size pieces
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red chilli sliced
- 2 tsp ginger chopped
- 2 stalk spring onion chopped
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Dry Sherry Wine
- 1/3 cup Avocado oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Dry Sherry Wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- Pat fish dry and slice into bite size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together your marinade ingredients. Marinate fish in batter.
- In a pot with avocado oil set over high heat, shallow fry your battered fish until golden crispy brown, about 7 minutes. Remove fish from pot. Pour out the oil.
- In the same pot set over medium heat, saute ginger, garlic, red chilli, and sugar. Throw in battered fish. Pour Dry Sherry over top. Fry for 1 minute and serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste.