Egg Fried Rice. Delicious, simple egg fried rice with soy sauce, sesame oil, eggs and green onions. Just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes! Great as simple and quick meal.
What is Egg Fried Rice?
Egg Fried Rice (蛋炒饭) is one of the most popular choices at a Chinese restaurant or Chinese takeout. It's a very quick stir-fry rice dish that consists of fluffy rice, beaten egg, seasoned with soy sauce, sesame oil, and green onions. Fantastic for the whole family and great for busy weeknights as a main dish or side dish.
It's one of my favorite recipes in Chinese cuisine as it comes together quickly and simply with minimal ingredients. In fact, growing up my mother would cook this dish for us hungry kids, whenever she needed to put dinner on the table fast.
Please scroll down to the below Recipe card for measurements
- Leftover cold rice, ideally jasmine rice: For best results, use day old or leftover rice for fluffy fried rice. If you use same day warm cooked rice, it will create soggy fried rice. You can also substitute with any white long grain rice, just not basmati.
- Green onions or spring onions
- Regular soy sauce: or substitute with low sodium soy sauce or light soy sauce. If you’re gluten-free, substitute with tamari sauce, coconut aminos or a gluten-free soy sauce of your choice.
- Toasted Sesame oil: omit if allergic but I would substitute with chili oil to give it more flavor.
- Beaten eggs
- Cooking oil: any neutral oil like avocado oil, peanut oil sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, etc. Avoid olive oil.
How to Make Egg Fried Rice
Over medium high heat in a steel wok, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Let it to smoke. Important: if using a non-stick pan, do NOT smoke oil and keep it on medium heat allowing the oil to get hot.
Fry Beaten Eggs
Once it smokes, pour in beaten eggs. Quickly stir to form shape.
Toss in Rice
Once the eggs form shape but are still moist, quickly toss in rice. If rice is clumped together, break apart in pan.
Toss in Green Onions
Sweep everything to the side of the wok, add remaining oil into empty space with green onions. Mix green onions into rice and eggs.
Add soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix until grains are brown. Remove off heat.
Serve hot and enjoy while it's hot!
Storage & Reheating
This fried rice will last 4-5 days in an airtight container stored in the fridge. To reheat, microwave for 2-3 minutes until hot or reheat on medium heat on the stovetop in a pan.
- Use day-old rice. This creates fluffy separated rice grains versus using same day warm rice which creams rice clumps.
- Use fresh local free run eggs with omega 3s. If you want those gorgeous yellow egg yolks, opt for local free run eggs with omega 3s.
- Use a steel wok for smoky flavor! When the oil meets the high heat in a steel wok, it creates "wok hei" which translates to "breathe of wok" in Chinese. This is what gives the fried rice that smoky taste.
Can I use same day cooked rice?
Yes, but lay the hot rice on a baking sheet in a thin layer and pop it in the freezer for 1 hour exposed to the cold air. This will dry out the rice creating the effect of 'leftover rice' or making it al dente. Then break it up with clean hands.
What gives Chinese fried rice its Flavour?
The soy sauce, sesame oil and the smokiness from the wok gives Chinese fried rice it's delicious flavor.
- Green beans
- Broccoli florets
- Bean sprouts
- Black pepper or white pepper
- Oyster sauce or vegetarian stir fry sauce to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Hot sauces like chili oil
- Any protein of choice like chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, or tofu.
Other Fried Rice recipes you may like!
10 min. Easy Egg Fried Rice (only 6 ingredients!)
- Over medium high heat in a steel wok, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and allow it to smoke. Important: if using a non-stick pan, do NOT smoke oil and keep it on medium heat allowing the oil to get hot.
- Once oil begins to smoke, pour in whisked eggs and quickly stir to form shape. Once the eggs form shape but are still moist, quickly toss and mix in rice. If rice is clumped together, break apart in pan.
- Sweep everything to the side, add remaining oil into empty space with green onions. Quickly mix green onions into rice and eggs.
- Add soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix until grains are coloured brown and immediately remove off heat. Serve hot and enjoy!
Suggested Equipment & Products
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.