Coconut Mango Sago Dessert Soup. It’s a delicious vegan Asian dessert soup that is light, refreshing and very easy to make!
The sweet light coconut milk combined with nut or oat milk (my twist) along with diced mango and soft tapioca (sago) makes this dessert soup one of a kind! It’s also not overly sweet like ice cream or other desserts, it’s the perfect level of sweetness in my opinion.
All you need is tapioca pearls, lite coconut milk (not the whole fat kind), vanilla almond or oat milk, chinese rock sugar or maple syrup, mangoes, water and fresh mint for garnish.
For this recipe
I’m using Thai Kitchen Organic Lite Coconut Milk, So Fresh Sweetened Almond Vanilla Milk, small tapioca pearls, fresh organic mango, and Chinese Rock Sugar (that you can find in the Asian grocer). Make sure the coconut milk you buy isn’t the regular whole fat version where the fat content is 100%, making the milk very thick or you will have to water it down with more almond milk or water.
what is tapioca?
Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava root. It consists of almost pure carbs and contains very little protein, fiber, or nutrients. Tapioca has become popular recently as a gluten-free alternative to wheat and other grains [Source: Healthline].
It’s commonly used in Asian desserts and it possesses a wonderful soft chewy texture. They are also sooo cute!
where i can buy tapioca pearls?
You can usually source it at most Asian grocers in the dessert aisle. The one you want to look for are the tiny ones not the big brown ones.
On a personal note
Hope you had a great weekend. If you’re in Canada and in the right province, you might be enjoying the Family Day Holiday today. I’m also celebrating Chinese New Year in addition to that. Two days ago my family and I had our CNY celebration and funny enough my mom somehow had an extra turkey, so she roasted that along with other Chinese traditional dishes like shiitake mushrooms over boiled lettuce or this special soup that takes a long time to prepare. The best part of it all was spending time with family, sitting around each other sharing a good laugh.
Well I hope you give this Coconut Mango Sago Dessert Soup a try!
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed.
Coconut Mango Sago Dessert Soup
- 1/4 cup of small tapioca pearls
- 400 ml Lite Organic Coconut Milk do not use regular whole fat coconut milk
- 125 ml Vanilla Plant-Based Milk of Choice
- 2-3 tbsp of Chinese Rock Sugar or Maple Syrup
- 2 mangoes peeled and diced
- 3 cups water
- Optional: Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- In a small pot, pour your coconut and plant based milk in. Add rock sugar or maple syrup. Bring to a boil and then let this simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes until sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Do not cover. Set aside and allow this to cool in fridge.
- Meanwhile in an another small pot filled with 3 cups of water, bring this to a boil. Add tapioca pearls. Boil for 15 minutes until tapioca is clear. Strain in a strainer with cool tap water running over it. Leave it submerged in cold water until ready for usage. This prevents the sago from drying out.
- Peel and dice mangoes.
- Once the coconut milk has cooled, add in tapioca.
- Serve milk sago soup separate from mango. Allow guests to add in the desired amount of mango. Garnish with mint. Enjoy!