Hope you had a great weekend. If you’re in Canada and in the right province, you might be enjoying the Family Day Holiday today. I’m also celebrating Chinese New Year in addition to that. Two days ago my family and I had our CNY celebration and funny enough my mom somehow had an extra turkey, so she roasted that along with other Chinese traditional dishes like shiitake mushrooms over boiled lettuce or this special soup that takes a long time to prepare. The best part of it all was spending time with family, sitting around each other sharing a good laugh.
In the occasion of Chinese New Year and that fact that the celebration lasts for 23 days (I know!!) I thought I’d share a very easy and delicious dessert. It’s a sweet Coconut Mango Sago soup dessert. The sweet light coconut milk combined with almond milk (my twist) along with diced mango and soft tapioca (sago) make this dish light, refreshing and tasty. It’s also not overly sweet like ice cream or other desserts, it’s the perfect level of sweetness in my opinion.
For this recipe, I’m using Thai Kitchen Organic Lite Coconut Milk, So Fresh Sweetened Almond Vanilla Milk, small tapioca pearls, fresh organic mango, and Chinese Rock Sugar (that you can find in the Asian grocer). Make sure the coconut milk you buy isn’t the regular whole fat version where the fat content is 100%, making the milk very thick or you will have to water it down with more almond milk or water. The tapioca I’m using is the type you would boil for 15 minutes in water and is not instant. Make sure it’s the tiny little ones and not the large brown ones found in bubble tea.
Well I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you do please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed.
COCONUT MANGO SAGO DESSERT RECIPE (VEGAN)
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOLING TIME 1 HR IN FRIDGE
- 1/4 cup of small tapioca pearls (do not use instant tapioca)
- 400 ml Lite Organic Coconut Milk (do not use regular whole fat coconut milk)
- 125 ml Vanilla Sweetened Almond Milk
- 2-3 tbsp of Chinese Rock Sugar (or organic granulated cane sugar)
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups water
- Optional: Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- In a small pot, pour your coconut and almond milk in. Add rock sugar. Bring to a boil and then let this simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes until sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Do not cover. Set aside and allow this to cool in fridge.
- Meanwhile in an another small pot filled with 3 cups of water, bring this to a boil. Add tapioca pearls. Boil for 15 minutes until tapioca is clear. Strain in a strainer with cool tap water running over it. Set aside to strain.
- Peel and dice mangoes.
- Once the coconut milk has cooled, add in tapioca. Tip: If the tapioca has amalgamated together, use cool water and a spoon to break it apart.
- Serve milk sago soup separate from mango. Allow guests to add in the desired amount of mango. Garnish with mint. Enjoy!
Storage Tip: If there are leftovers to store in the fridge, keep the mango and the coconut sago soup in separate containers. If you combine the mango and milk together, it’ll cause the milk to go sour.