Jajangmyeon Black Bean Noodles. A popular delicious Korean noodle dish with a savoury black bean sauce. Perfect for dinner and leftovers.
This recipe takes 30 minutes to make. You will need: Korean wheat noodles (fresh or dried), roasted black bean paste, avocado oil, onion, cabbage, green onion, chicken thighs, water and cornstarch.
- The trick to making this extra delicious is frying the black bean paste in some avocado oil first. This prevents the paste from being too sticky and makes it more smooth and glossy. Just be careful of oil splatter!
- I do not recommend using napa cabbage. Use the regular cabbage. Napa cabbage releases more water and a specific taste that alters the taste of the sauce.
- I would only recommend using chicken or pork as the protein source thanks to it’s subtle non-overpowering taste.
- Do not overcook the noodles. Only boil them for 3-4 minutes at most.
About my Version
This version is also super basic. There are other versions of Jajangmyeon Korean Black Bean Noodles where they add in daikon, potatoes, zucchini and more but I honestly think less is more when it comes to this dish!
Where can I buy Korean Roasted Black Bean Paste?
It should be available at more korean or asian grocers. Search for it in your sauce aisle. It should look something like the below. Also if you’re wondering if you can just use black beans, no it’s unfortunately not the same. You will need this ingredient to make this dish.
Where can I buy Korean Wheat Noodles?
They are available at most Korean or asian grocers. If you want the fresh version, look for Somyeon noodles in the refrigerated area. They look something like the below:
If you want the dried ones, look something like this. It should be in the dried noodle aisle.
Well I hope you give this Jajangmyeon Black Bean Noodles a recipe a try!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Jajangmyeon Black Bean Noodles
- 200 grams korean wheat noodle
- 1/3 cup roasted black bean paste
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small cooking onion finely chopped
- 2 cups regular cabbage chopped
- 2 stalks green onion finely chopped
- 2 skinless boneless chicken thighs sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Optional: cucumber for garnish
- In a hot pan set over medium heat, add avocado oil and fry black bean paste for a couple of minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry your chicken in the same oiled pan until cooked and browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry green onions and onions until soft. Then add in cabbage and fry until soft. Add back in chicken and black bean paste. Mix well. Reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl mix water and cornstarch. Pour into sauce and mix well. Simmer until it’s thickened.
- Boil noodles for 3-4 minutes. Strain. Pour sauce over noodles and garnish with cucumbers (optional)