Thai Iced Tea. A delicious, refreshing, and creamy milk tea. The perfect way to start any morning. I also share an option to make this dairy-free.
What is Thai Iced Tea made of?
Thai Iced Tea is a delicious and strong black tea with sweetened condensed milk with a vibrant orange color. This iced tea recipe comes from Thailand. You'll find this popular iced beverage at many Thai restaurants and you can also enjoy it hot without ice cubes.
What gives the brewed tea that orange color are the tea leaves as they contain food dye. I love making this drink at home as it's super quick and easy. It's also one of my favorite beverages when I am seriously craving a caffeine fix!
Please scroll down to below recipe card for exact measurements.
- Hot Water
- Loose Leaf Thai Tea leaves: or substitute with regular black loose leaf tea or black tea bags if you don't have a tea strainer. You can purchase Thai Tea leaves at most Asian grocers or online like on Amazon.
- Sweetened Condensed milk: or substitute with condensed coconut milk to make it dairy-free.
- Evaporated milk: ir substitute with evaporated coconut milk to make this dairy-free
- Ice cubes
How to make Thai Iced Tea
First in a tea strainer, line it with a coffee filter. This is important as it helps to strain out even the tiniest of tea leaves. Next fill the lined tea strainer with the tea leaves. Then place the strainer into the small pot and fill the pot with 2 cups of water. Bring it a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce to medium heat to simmer and let this steep until it's very dark brown, about 5 minutes.
Add Condensed Milk & Ice to Glasses
Then in two separate glasses, fill them each with 1 tablespoon of condensed milk followed by ice cubes.
Pour Tea Into Glass
Next once the black tea is steeped, pour into the tall glass.
Add Evaporated Milk
Lastly, pour 1 tablespoon of evaporated milk over each glass and mix to enjoy! Finally feel free to add more condensed milk if you prefer it sweeter.
- Add as much condensed milk as you like if you prefer it much sweeter.
- Make sure to mix the drink before enjoying it!
Other beverage recipes you may like!
- Earl Grey Milk Tea
- Watermelon Milk
- Strawberry Matcha Latte
- Vegan Strawberry Milk
- Vegan Iced Turmeric Latte
Quick Easy Thai Iced Tea
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon Thai Tea leaves or sub with regular black tea leaves or decaf black tea leaves for a decaf version
- 2 tablespoon condensed milk or condensed coconut milk for dairy-free option
- 2 tablespoon evaporated milk or evaporated coconut milk for dairy-free option
- 2 cups ice cubes as needed
- In your tea strainer, line it with a coffee filter. This is important as it prevents the tiny pieces of the tea leaves from escaping into your iced tea.
- Fill the lined tea strainer with the tea leaves. Place the strainer into the small pot and fill the pot with 2 cups of water. Bring it a boil and reduce to medium heat.
- Boil your tea until it's very dark brown, about 5 minutes. The tea needs to be steeped.
- Then in two separate glasses, fill them each with 1 tablespoon of condensed milk followed by ice cubes.
- Once your black tea is steeped, pour into the glass.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of evaporated milk over each glass and mix to enjoy! Feel free to add more condensed milk if you prefer it sweeter.