A 30-minute vegan, dairy-free Malaysian Curry Tofu recipe that is savoury, not spicy, and is full of aromatic flavours from the Southeast Asia! Perfect for dinner and leftovers for lunch!
This is an authentic curry dish that I have developed over time to finally nail and share with you here! It’s created from a variety of spices that offer a great deep flavour profile and you may already have most of the spices in your pantry!
My husband’s family is from Malaysia and my mother-in-law creates the best curry I’ve ever had in my life! As such, I am always asking her for tips to share on how to make curry and here are some of her tips!
Tips for Cooking Malaysian Curry
- Always use fresh ginger, onion and garlic together! These three pair so well together for a savoury curry sauce.
- Fry your spices before adding liquids. As a result, your curry will be more flavourful as the heat brings out the flavours in your spices
- Use whole fat coconut milk. Malaysians use coconut milk in most of their curries and it offers a wonderful aroma to your dish
- Add fresh Lemongrass to your curry for extra aroma! This is often used in most malaysian dishes!
Curry can fight inflammation
Did you know that curry can actually fight inflammation thanks to the array of spices it contains? It contains turmeric and cinnamon.
“Turmeric contains a powerful anti-inflammatory compound called curcumin. Eating black pepper with turmeric can significantly enhance the absorption of curcumin.”
“The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help lower your risk of disease.”
So load up with my vegan mild Malaysian Curry Tofu!
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed my Malaysian Curry Tofu please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Malaysian Curry Tofu
- Food Processor
- 140 grams Fried Tofu Balls
- 1 small cooking onion
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp avocado oil
Curry Powder Mix:
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- In a small bowl, mix together your curry powder spices.
- In a food processor, finely grind onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a pot set over medium high heat, add avocado oil. Fry onions, garlic, ginger until soft and translucent.
- Add curry powder mix. Stir fry until everything begins to steam.
- Then add in fried tofu balls. Followed by coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and allow it to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has reduced by half.