Today I’m sharing a vegetarian recipe for these Pandan Pancakes. Don’t you just wish you had a stack of these! These are Pandan Pancakes! What’s Pandan you ask? It’s a flavour widely used in South East Asia and tastes like coconut with a hint of citrus from the leaves of a Pandan tree. I was introduced to it by my Malaysian mother-in-law who uses it in everything! You can find it at most Asian grocers or on Amazon! Just search Pandan Extract or click here to get it off amazon.
Why I love Pandan Pancakes?
When I first met my husband’s family who originates from Malaysia, I got to try these delicious Pandan Crepes! I will never forget the first time I tried them because they were soft, chewy and had that gorgeous pandan aroma. From that moment I was hooked and I had to make everything Pandan flavoured! So look out, I’ll be producing more recipes with this wonderful flavour!
What is Pandan?
Pandan is a herbaceous tropical plant that grows in Southeast Asia. It’s a very fragrant plant thanks to it’s vanilla and floral grass scent. The plant looks similar to a palm with vibrant green leaves that are long and pointy. The leaves are utilized for their delicious taste in many Thai and Southeast Asian Dishes. Pandan is usually sold as an extract, paste or powder to flavour treats.
It’s commonly used to flavour many Thai or Southeast Asian desserts, such as cakes, jellies and more. Sometimes the leaves are used to wrap sticky with as the flavour seeps into the sticky rice making it taste wonderful!
Where can I buy Pandan Essence?
You can usually buy it from most asian grocers on online. Just search online for “Pandan Leaf Essence” or Extract. I would not recommend using the powders unless you’re familiar with using them.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed these Pandan Pancakes, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Disclaimer: This blog post is not sponsored.
- 1 free-range egg
- 3⁄4 cup cup plant based milk of choice and subtract 1 teaspoon for the pandan essence
- 2 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pandan extract or essence
- In a mixing bowl, mix your dry ingredients together, followed by your wet ingredients. Mix together until well combined.
- Then in a non-stick griddle set on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of vegan butter. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the griddle. Spread out with a spoon. When bubbles begin to form and break or the bottom of the pancake is golden brown, flip over to cook on the other side. Repeat this for as many pancakes that you can fit onto the pan to reduce cooking time.
- Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup. Enjoy!