Sushi Bake. Creamy crab layered over hot sushi rice with spicy mayo, furikake and green onions. A delicious, deconstructed sushi roll with the flavors of sushi. An easy meal that takes 30 minutes!
What is a Sushi Bake?
It's a very delicious sushi casserole dish that became a viral TikTok meal through social media for good reason! Think of it like a deconstructed California roll without all the trouble of creating sushi rolls. Sushi bakes are usually made cooked white rice seasoned with furikake, crab meat mixed with Japanese mayonnaise and cream cheese with sriracha mayonnaise. It's baked in the oven and paired warm with roasted seaweed sheets.
There are also other versions of a homemade sushi bake. For instance, the salmon sushi bake is another popular alternative! It contains salmon mixture made from cooked salmon filets. When I'm feeling sushi but don't feel like preparing all the individual components, I make this! The best part about this sushi bake is the ease behind it. There's no sushi mat required, just a casserole dish and your favorite sushi ingredients! It also doesn't take much time to make, about 30 minutes if you're quick!
Please scroll to below recipe card for exact measurements:
- Cooked Sushi Rice: aka short-grain rice or Calrose rice. Short grain rice is different from glutinous sticky rice, but it is sticky.
- Rice vinegar: rice vinegar will be used to make our vinegared rice.
- White sugar: to make the rice sweeter. This is a common ingredient for sushi rice.
- Salt: to season our sushi rice or it will be bland without it.
- Imitation crab meat or substitute with real crab meat. They come in crab sticks each individually wrapped in plastic. You may also substitute with cooked salmon if you wish.
- Furikake: A Japanese style seasoning made of roasted seaweed flakes, toasted sesame seeds, sugar and salt.
- Japanese mayo: aka Kewpie Mayonnaise which is a Japanese-style mayonnaise that is ultra thick and creamier than regular mayo. Or substitute with normal mayo.
- Cream cheese: You can use light or regular cream cheese. Avoid using seasoned cream cheese.
- Sriracha: A Thai chili sauce that is spicy, vibrant in color and slightly thick but also runny.
- Green onion
- Cucumber: I highly recommend serving a piece of the sushi bake with fresh slices of cucumber. It compliments the layers of sushi rice and the spicy mayo crab mixture perfectly!
- Nori sheets: or feel free to use seaweed snack which also come in rectangular sheets. It's the perfect way to enjoy this casserole form of sushi!
Note: The Asian grocery store will carry these ingredients. You may find them at your local grocery store or online, like on Amazon.
How to make a Sushi Bake
First preheat the oven to 450 F.
Make Sushi Rice Seasoning
Then transfer hot cooked rice into a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, salt and sugar and mix until dissolved.
Season Sushi Rice
Next pour over hot cooked sushi rice and mix well.
Transfer to a Casserole Dish
Then transfer seasoned rice to a 9 x 11-inch baking dish. Firmly flatten with a wet rice paddle.
Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of furikake on top of the rice.
Create Imitation Crab Mixture
In a large bowl, combine shredded and chopped imitation crab meat with Japanese mayo, and cream cheese.
Layer on Crab Mixture
Add crab mixture top of rice. Spread out evenly and press down firmly.
Add more Furikake
Sprinkle the remaining furikake on top of crab meat mixture.
Create Sriracha Mayo
In a small bowl, combine Japanese mayo and sriracha to make a spicy mayo. (Not a fan of spice? Omit the sriracha sauce).
Drizzle Spicy Mayo
Drizzle spicy mayo on top of crab layer.
Bake & Broil
Bake in your preheated oven at 450F for 15 minutes uncovered. Then broil at 500 F for 1 minute.
Lastly garnish with green onions. Serve warm with a small sheet of nori and fresh cucumbers.
Storage & Reheating
This will last 2-3 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge. A great way to reheat is to microwave on high heat covered for 2-3 minutes until warm. If you don't own a microwave, bake it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until warm through out.
Other substitutes for imitation crab meat?
Feel free to substitute with cooked salmon, or canned tuna. Both are equally delicious!
What is sushi bake made of?
A sushi bake is made of seasoned sushi rice with imitation crab mixed with mayo, seasoned with furirake and spicy mayo. It's usually served with nori sheets.
Other Recipes You May Like!
- 400 grams Imitation crab meat separated and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoon furikake or sub with toasted sesame seeds and crushed roasted seaweed
- ½ cup Japanese mayo aka Kewpie mayo or sub with normal mayo
- ½ cup Cream cheese
- 1 green onion finely chopped for garnish
- 4 tablespoon Sriracha
- 4 tablespoon Japanese mayo aka Kewpie mayo or sub with normal mayo
- Cucumber thinly sliced
- 4 Nori sheets each sheet cut into 4 squares
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Transfer hot cooked rice into a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, salt and sugar and mix until dissolved. Pour over hot cooked sushi rice and mix well.
- Transfer seasoned rice to a 9 x 11-inch baking dish. Firmly flatten with a wet rice paddle.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of furikake on top of the rice.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded and chopped imitation crab meat with ½ cup Japanese mayo, and ½ cup cream cheese.
- Add crab mixture top of rice. Spread out evenly and press down firmly.
- Sprinkle the remaining furikake on top of crab meat mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoon Japanese mayo and 4 tablespoon sriracha to make a spicy mayo. (Not a fan of spice? Omit the sriracha sauce). Drizzle spicy mayo on top of crab layer.
- Bake in your preheated oven at 450F for 15 minutes uncovered. Then broil at 500 F for 1 minute.
- Garnish with green onions. Serve warm with a small sheet of nori and fresh cucumbers.
StorageThis will last 2-3 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
ReheatingMicrowave on high heat covered for 2-3 minutes until warm. If you don't own a microwave, bake it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until warm through out.
Suggested Equipment & Products
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.