Asian Sesame Smashed Potatoes. Baby potatoes boiled and basted in a soy maple, sesame glaze and topped off with green onions and sesame seeds. It’s a perfect side dish.
For this recipe, you will need baby potatoes with the skin on, soy sauce, maple syrup, sesame oil, green onions and sesame seeds. This pairs wonderfully with some steamed veggies and a protein of your choice.
The baby potatoes when smashed and roasted in the oven give off such a wonderful crispy texture while remaining soft on the inside.
It’s a wonderful dish to prepare for guests and it’s really easy to make! This recipe takes about 35 minutes of your time but if you make it in large batches, you can have it ready for meal prep.
Before I share about this recipe, I do want to share some awesome benefits about potatoes as they often receive a bad rap.
Health Benefits of Potatoes
- Potatoes are a good source of antioxidants, which may reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. However, more human-based research is required before making any recommendations.
- They contain resistant starch, which may help reduce insulin resistance. In turn, this can help improve blood sugar control.
- Resistant starch in potatoes is a source of nutrition for beneficial gut bacteria. They convert it to the short-chain fatty acid butyrate, which has been linked to reduced inflammation in the colon, improved colon defenses and a lower risk of colorectal cancer.
- Potatoes are naturally gluten-free, which makes them an excellent food choice for people with celiac disease or a non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
- Studies have shown that potatoes are among the most filling foods. They may increase the levels of fullness hormones, such as cholecystokinin (CCK).
Well I hope you give this Asian Sesame Smashed Potatoes a recipe a try!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Asian Sesame Smashed Potatoes
- 3 cups baby potatoes with skin on
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/5 maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Boil for 15 minute until fork tender. Flatten potatoes with a masher or the back of a measuring cup.
- Baste with soy sauce mixture using a brush. Sprinkle green onions on top. Bake for 10 minutes. Baste again.
- Bake for another 10 minutes and sprinkle sesame seeds. Enjoy.