Today I’m sharing a recipe for Dak Galbi, also known as, Korean Spicy Chicken Stir Fry. It’s spicy, savoury, smokey and so delicious! The chicken is marinated in korean hot pepper flakes and paste. It’s also accompanied with cabbage, carrot, onion, and korean rice cakes. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
It’s a dish that is usually made on a gas stove top in the middle of a dinner table and cooks as your guests converse. Once all the chicken and veggies are eaten, Koreans usually fry rice or ramen in the leftover sauce. It’s a delicious meal that will hit the spot.
It’s actually one of my favourite Korean dishes ever. I love it paired with some steamed white rice. The taste of the smoky spicy barbeque-like sauce is so unique to Korean cuisine and I highly recommend it.
You can source the Korean Hot Pepper Paste and Flakes from an Asian or Korean grocer or online:
Before I dive into the recipe I wanted to share some interesting nutritional benefits of chili.
Nutritional Benefits of Chili:
- “Chili peppers provide some carbs and offer a small amount of protein and fiber.
- They are rich in various vitamins and minerals but usually eaten in small amounts — so they don’t contribute significantly to your daily micronutrient intake.
- An excellent source of antioxidant plant compounds that have been linked to various health benefits. Most notable is capsaicin, which is responsible for the pungent (hot) taste of chili peppers
- They are associated with several health benefits. They may promote weight loss when combined with other healthy lifestyle strategies and may help relieve pain caused by acid reflux.
However, it’s important to pay attention to your own tolerance levels when eating chili peppers. Using them as a spice may be healthy, but those who experience digestive distress should avoid them.”
I hope you give my recipe for Dak Galbi a try and enjoy it.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Dak Galbi (Korean Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, sliced into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp gochujang paste (Korean Hot Pepper Paste – Mild)
- 1 tbsp Korean Hot Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 cups napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp
- 12 rice cakes, soaked in warm water
- In a glass tupperware, marinade your chicken with gochujang paste, Korean hot pepper flakes, soy sauce, cane sugar, minced garlic and onion. Marinade overnight for best flavour or at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, in a skillet set over medium high heat add avocado oil. Followed by napa cabbage, carrot, onion, and rice cakes. Then add chicken with all the marinade on top.
- Fry the chicken until it’s sealed and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice and enjoy!