Grass Jelly Brown Sugar Milk. A sweet milky dessert beverage with bouncy grass jelly cubes. Very easy to make at home and absolutely delicious! This recipe is vegan.
The jiggly grass jelly with fresh milk and brown sugar syrup is a total delight! You won't be able to stop at one glass.
In pan-Asian cuisine, grass jelly is a very popular ingredient that is used in many sweet beverages, like a grass jelly bubble tea, or dessert soups. You will commonly find grass jelly at bubble tea shops where you have the option to add this ingredient instead of bobas.
What is a grass jelly?
Grass jelly is a jiggly jelly that is totally vegan. "Black grass jelly is made from the Mesona palustris plant, while the Cyclea barbata Miers plant is used to make green grass jelly." (Source: Livestrong.com)
Where can I buy grass jelly?
Grass jelly can be purchased at any Asian grocer (canned aisle) and sometimes in the Western grocer in the International aisle.
It's also healthy!
These are the following grass jelly benefits:
- It works as an antioxidant to combat free radicals.
- Fights bad bacteria that can cause illness or infection.
- Lastly, helps improve the immune system. (Source: Livestrong.com)
When seasoned with brown sugar syrup, it's so delicious especially when accompanied with fresh fruit, milk or taro balls.
Today I'm going to share a very simple 4 ingredient brown sugar grass jelly with milk that you can make at home which only takes about 10-15 minutes.
I also share other fun Asian beverages below so don't forget to check them out below.
Other recipes you may like!
EARL GREY BUBBLE TEA
AUTHENTIC THAI ICED TEA
STRAWBERRY MATCHA LATTE
ICED MATCHA LATTE
ICED MILITARY LATTE
DALGONA FROTHY COFFEE
VEGAN STRAWBERRY MILK
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients for my grass jelly milk drink:
549 grams canned grass jelly
4 cups oat milk or milk of choice
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup water
How to make grass jelly milk with brown sugar syrup
Open your canned grass jelly and pop the jelly out onto a cutting board. Careful, it's slippery. Slice the jelly into half. Slice one half into little cubes and the other half into medium size cubes. This is optional but it gives you a variety of texture. Place the grass jelly cubes into separate bowls.
In a small sauce pan, add brown sugar and whisk in your water. Bring this is a boil and then lower to a simmer to allow this to reduce to a thick syrup.
Pour half of your brown sugar syrup into each bowl of grass jelly and mix gently with a spatula.
In a tall glass, spoon some of the grass jelly (medium or small, your choice) into the base.
Then add about ½ cup of ice topped off with more grass jelly.
Next, spoon some of your brown sugar and pour the syrup along the walls of the glass to create a marble effect (optional).
Layer with more grass jelly and ice
Pour 1 cup milk over top (per glass) and enjoy!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Grass Jelly Brown Sugar Milk recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this grass jelly milk with brown sugar, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you've made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating for my black grass jelly milk with brown sugar, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Grass Jelly Brown Sugar Milk (10-min. Recipe)
- 549 grams canned grass jelly
- 4 cups oat milk or milk of choice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- Ice cubes
- Open your canned grass jelly and carefully pop the jelly out onto a cutting board. Slice the jelly into half. Slice one half into little cubes and the other half into medium size cubes. This is optional but it gives you a variety of texture. Place the grass jelly cubes into separate bowls.
- In a small sauce pan, add brown sugar and whisk in your water. Bring this is a boil and then lower to a simmer to allow this to reduce to a thick syrup.
- Pour half of your brown sugar syrup into each bowl of grass jelly and mix gently with a spatula.
- In a tall glass, spoon some of the grass jelly (medium or small, your choice) into the base.
- Then add about ½ cup of ice topped off with more grass jelly.
- Next, spoon some of your brown sugar and pour the syrup along the walls of the glass to create a marble effect (optional).
- Layer with more grass jelly and ice
- Pour 1 cup milk over top (per glass) and enjoy!
I made this the other day and was blown away by how tasty and simple it was.
Wow! I've never heard of grass jelly before...it looks amazing! And love that it's vegan too...yay! This drink is a stunner for sure! 🙂
Thanks so much Sherri!
Heidi | The Frugal Girls
Those bouncy grass jelly cubes are so visually stunning. They make your beautiful 3 ingredient brown sugar milk so totally tempting! ❤️
And here I thought that I had to go into the mall to get some jelly tea! I am definitely trying this (also because my brother is obsessed with Asian food!)
So glad you enjoyed this! Thank you for making my recipe!