Broccoli with Garlic Sauce. Crispy tender broccoli coated in a glossy thick garlicky sauce with umami flavours! Ready in 10 minutes. A great vegetable side dish to get in fiber!
All you’re doing is combining the sauce ingredients and blanching the washed broccoli florets in hot boiling water until vibrant. Then strain and transfer it to your serving plate. Lastly, in the same pan or wok, simmer and thicken the sauce and pour it over your broccoli. That’s it!
You can also use this Chinese garlic sauce recipe for any vegetables that you’d like! It’s versatile so this sauce can be served with vegetables such as bok choy, gai-lan, cauliflower or choy sum.
This easy broccoli with garlic sauce is great and simple way to get in fiber or just looking to eat more vegetables!
Please scroll down to below recipe card for exact measurements.
- Broccoli: you can use a whole crown and break them into florets. Frozen broccoli florets can work too.
- Fresh Garlic
- Oyster sauce: sub with vegetarian stir fry sauce
- Regular soy sauce: or substitute with low sodium soy sauce or light soy sauce. If you’re gluten-free, substitute with tamari sauce, coconut aminos or a gluten-free soy sauce of your choice.
- Shaoxing wine: this is a Chinese rice wine. You may also substitute with Dry Sherry.
- Sesame oil
- Cornstarch: or potato starch
- White granulated sugar
- Cold water
- Source fresh vibrant green broccoli. This will make all the difference. Avoid any broccoli that is limp, yellow or not sturdy. These are old.
- Use fresh garlic for best taste. This will ensure a garlicky taste to your sauce instead of using pre-minced garlic in a jar. However, if that's all you have, feel free to use that and perhaps add a bit more.
- Do not over blanch your broccoli. This can lead to very soft broccoli that will crumble, unless you enjoy that. Usually in Chinese cooking, we only blanch until the vegetable turns soft but has a slight crunch.
- Feel free to add broccoli into sauce as it thickens. Another way to enjoy this dish and to add the blanched broccoli right into the sauce as it simmers in your wok and mixing it! This allows for the sauce to cover every piece.
How to make Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
Wash & Strain Broccoli
Wash your broccoli florets until the water runs clear and strain them.
In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Set aside.
In a wok or large pan filled halfway with water, bring to a boil. Once it boils, blanch broccoli for 2-3 minutes or soft and vibrant green.
Transfer Broccoli to Serving Plate
Strain cooked broccoli and transfer to a serving plate.
Dry the wok or pan and set it over medium heat. Once wok is hot, pour sauce and allow this to simmer to thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
Pour over Broccoli
Once thick, pour sauce over broccoli. Serve & enjoy!
Storage & Reheating
Leftovers will last up to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, microwave for 2-3 minutes until hot or reheat in a pan on medium heat.
This Chinese garlic sauce can be used on other green vegetables such as bok choy (check out my Chinese Bok Choy with Garlic Sauce recipe), gai lan, yu choy sum, and more!
Other recipes you may like!
- Chinese Broccoli Stir Fry
- Steamed Garlic Bok Choy
- Stir Fried Snow Pea Leaves
- Choy Sum with Sizzling Oil
- Easy Garlic Green Beans
Easy 10-min. Chinese Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
- 12 oz broccoli florets washed and strained
- Wash your broccoli florets until the water runs clear and strain them.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients.
- In a wok or large pan filled halfway with water, bring to a boil. Once it boils, blanch broccoli for 2-3 minutes or crisp and tender.
- Strain broccoli and transfer to a serving plate.
- Dry the wok or pan and set it over medium heat. Once wok is hot, pour sauce and allow this to simmer to thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
- Once thick, pour sauce over broccoli. Serve & enjoy!