Oyster Sauce Braised Chicken Wings. Savoury, delicious chicken wings cooked and simmered in a oyster soy garlic sauce. A simple main dish that pairs wonderfully with rice and your favourite vegetables. Ready in 30 minutes and very easy to make at home!
Growing up my mother made something like this braised chicken in oyster sauce. It was a dish the whole family enjoyed and us kids would be eyeing the last wing! And when there were no more wings left, that glossy thick sauce was left for us to pour over our steamed white rice.
It was so good and I still remember the taste of her chicken wings to this day! It truly brings back so much nostalgia of sitting at our old wooden dining table as we conversed about our day or talked about current events, usually led by dad.
Easy to make!
These braised oyster sauce chicken wings are easy to make at home! You are simply searing the chicken wings in oil, then adding in your aromatics and sauce with a cornstarch slurry to thicken that sauce at the end. Quite easy and delicious. It only takes 30 minutes to make, making this dish a fantastic one for a quick weeknight meal.
Where can I buy these sauces?
For this braised chicken with oyster sauce recipe, you’ll need a few sauce ingredients: soy sauce, dark soy sauce and oyster sauce. All of these can be found at Asian grocers and if you’re lucky, you may even be able to find them at western grocers.
If you don’t live close to an Asian grocer or you can’t locate them at your nearby western grocer, I will link them below in my recipe card.
Tips for making oyster sauce stewed chicken wings
- When preparing your chicken wings, apply 3 tablespoon of salt and rub the wings to clean them of any bacteria and odors. This will give you better tasting wings!
- Pat the chicken wings dry to allow them to sear better in the oil.
- When searing the wings, allow them to brown on each side. This will give them a wonderful flavour due to the browning effect.
- Pre-mix your sauce ahead of time so you can swiftly add it to your pan without overcooking the wings.
- Aromatics are key in this dish so don’t skip them!
- Low and slow wins the race! Give these wings some time to simmer over low heat (Level 3/10). This low flame will cook the wings and keep them tender and juicy.
- Make sure to flip wings over to ensure they’re evenly braised.
How long can I store this dish?
It should last 4 days stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Can you use oyster sauce as a dipping sauce?
Yes! I love using oyster sauce as a condiment for vegetables or even noodles to give them extra flavour.
What is oyster sauce used for in cooking?
It’s popularly used in stir-fries, noodle dishes, soups and more!
Can vegetarians eat oyster sauce?
Unfortunately oyster sauce as the name suggests contains oyster so technically no. However, there is an alternative called Vegetarian Stir Fry sauce that tastes and has the same texture as oyster sauce.
Is oyster sauce fishy?
Despite the name, the sauce does not have an overly fishy taste, such as fish sauce, but it does taste ocean-like salty with a umami flavour.
How is oyster sauce made?
Oyster sauce is traditionally produced by simmering oysters into a thick, brown, flavourful sauce.
Other recipes you may like!
SOY HOISIN CHICKEN THIGHS
SWEET SOY SAUCE CHICKEN
SOY MAPLE GLAZED CHICKEN
SOY CHICKEN WINGS
CHINESE GREEN ONION LIME CHICKEN
STEAMED SOY GINGER CHICKEN
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients for my braised oyster sauce chicken wings:
1 stalk green onions, sliced for garnish (optional)
1 tablespoon avocado oil, for cooking
21 chicken wings, 4 lbs
3 tablespoon salt, for cleaning wings
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, sliced
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon water
How to make Braised Chicken in Oyster Sauce
In a small bowl, mix your sauce ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix your corn starch slurry.
To prepare your chicken wings, place them in a colander. Apply salt and rub them wings. Then rinse off with water and let the water drain. Pat the wings dry with paper towel.
In a large pan or wok set over medium high heat, add avocado oil and then carefully add wings. Sear wings on both sides for 5 minutes. Once they have browned on both sides.
Then add garlic and ginger along with sauce. Do not add cornstarch slurry yet. Give everything a mix. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes covered.
In the last minute, uncover and add slurry. Bring to boil for 5 minutes to reduce the sauce until it thickens. Serve and enjoy!
It should last 4 days stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Oyster Sauce Braised Chicken Wings a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed my Chinese Braised Chicken Recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you've made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @ChristieAtHome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating for Chicken in Oyster Sauce, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Easy Oyster Sauce Braised Chicken Wings
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 21 chicken wings 4 lbs
- 3 tablespoon salt for cleaning wings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil for cooking
- 3 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon regular soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing Cooking Wine
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger sliced with skin on
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, mix your sauce ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix your corn starch slurry.
- To prepare your chicken wings, place them in a colander. Apply salt and rub them wings. Then rinse off with water and let the water drain. Pat the wings dry with paper towel.
- In a large pan or wok set over medium high heat, add avocado oil and then carefully add wings. Sear wings on both sides for 5 minutes. Once they have browned on both sides.
- Then add garlic and ginger along with sauce. Do not add cornstarch slurry yet. Give everything a mix. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes covered.
- In the last minute, uncover and add cornstarch slurry. Bring to boil for 5 minutes to reduce the sauce until it thickens. Serve and enjoy!
Katherine | Love In My Oven
These wings look sooo saucy and delicious. Chicken wings is one thing my whole family enjoys. Yours look like they have so much flavor!
Heidi | The Frugal Girls
These wings look finger licking fantastic! I loved your idea to pair your homemade oyster sauce with these wings.
I have been making this recipe for 30 years - ever since it was first published in Stephen Yan’s “Wok with Yan” cookbook. It is a family favourite and one of my signature comfort food meals. The only additions I have made are to add 6-8 quartered crimini mushrooms and a couple of handfuls of broccoli flowers to the wok in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Absolute gorgeousness!
Wonderful to hear, Linda! I remember watching his show when I was very young. Glad this dish is family favourite and thank you for making my recipe 🙂