Hong Kong Style Macaroni Soup. Macaroni noodles in a bowl of chicken broth with vegetables, ham and a fried egg. Ready in 15 minutes.
This iconic ham egg macaroni soup is popularly served at many Hong Kong tea cafes aka "cha chan tengs" as pronounced in Cantonese.
There are two versions - this version and a Hong Kong style tomato macaroni soup recipe (click here for my recipe). Both are equally delicious in their own right.
They are quintessential breakfast items that you will find at any Hong Kong tea cafe. Perfect for a cold day to warm the body up!
It is a twist on the popular western style macaroni soup, like many Hong Kong cha chaan teng dishes. However, the soup is seasoned with a Chinese taste with soy sauce, oyster sauce, a hint of sesame oil and chicken bouillon powder.
At Hong Kong style cafes, they always over boil macaroni pasta past al-dente and this soft texture is signature to the dish. It's my husband's favorite breakfast item and I love making this dish for him!
The main ingredients for my Hong Kong style noodle soup are below. Please scroll down to recipe card below for full measurements.
- Macaroni pasta: or any pasta of your choice like farfalle pasta or seashell pasta. If you use other types of pasta, please cook according to package instructions.
- Frozen mixed veggies (carrots, green peas or corn kernels)
- Unsalted chicken stock: or vegetable stock
- Oyster sauce or vegetarian stir fry sauce
- Soy sauce: not light or dark soy sauce. Just regular soy sauce.
- Sesame oil
- Chicken bouillon powder: a teaspoon chicken bouillon powder goes a long way!
- Sugar (optional)
- Ham: or cubes of spam, original bratwursts, sausage or any luncheon meat of your choice
- Neutral oil: like avocado oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, etc.
- Salt: to season pasta water
How to make Hong Kong Style Macaroni Soup
In a medium size pot filled halfway with water, add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and add macaroni pasta. Boil pasta in hot water according to package directions, about 11 minutes on high heat for Al dente or 13 minutes for overcooked (like the authentic HK style macaroni soup).
Strain pasta and divide into your serving bowl.
In a medium size pot, add chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken bouillon powder, sesame oil, and sugar. Mix and bring to a boil.
Add frozen mixed vegetables and boil for 30 seconds or until vegetables float to the top. Once boiled, remove off heat and cover with a lid.
In a frying pan on medium heat, add avocado oil. Crack and fry eggs sunny side up until edges of the egg are crispy brown and cooked through. Or go for scrambled eggs or over-easy. Transfer fried egg and ham slices on top of macaroni pasta.
Pour hot soup on top of pasta. Enjoy!
How long will Hong Kong Style Macaroni Soup last?
This is best consumed within 24 hours but if you want to keep it past then. Keep macaroni and soup along with fried eggs and ham in separate containers stored in the fridge. When you're ready to have it, reheat the components.
Other Hong Kong style cafe recipes
If you enjoyed my Hong Kong Style Macaroni Soup, you may like these other HK style recipes:
- Baked Pork Chop on Rice
- Hong Kong Style French Toast with Condensed Milk
- HK Style Ham & Egg Sandwich
- Satay Beef Sandwich
- Satay Beef Vermicelli Soup
Easy Hong Kong Style Macaroni Soup (15-min. Recipe)
- 225 grams macaroni pasta or sub with sea shell or farfalle pasta
- 200 grams frozen mixed vegetables of choice (carrots, peas, corn kernels, etc)
- 4 cups chicken stock unsalted or sub with vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce or vegetarian stir fry sauce
- 1 tablespoon regular soy sauce (not light soy sauce or dark soy sauce)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon white granulated sugar optional
- 2 eggs
- 4-6 slices ham or sub with spam or sausage
- 2 teaspoon avocado oil or any neutral oil for frying eggs
- In a medium size pot filled halfway with water, add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and add macaroni pasta. Boil for 11 minutes on medium high heat until Al dente or 13 minutes for slightly overcooked for authentic HK style macaroni soup. Strain pasta and divide into two serving bowls.
- In a medium size pot, add chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken bouillon powder, sesame oil, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables and boil for 30 seconds. Once boiled, remove off heat and cover pot with a lid.
- In a 10 inch non stick pan on medium heat, add avocado oil. Crack and fry eggs sunny side up or easy over until whites are cooked. Transfer egg and ham slices on top of macaroni pasta.
- Pour hot soup on top of pasta. Enjoy!
Josiah - DIY Thrill
This Macaroni Soup looks incredible!
Katherine | Love In My Oven
Looks delicious, Christie!! Perfect for a chillier day!! 🙂
Simple, quick, and mostly important - delicious! Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that brings me back to sitting in a booth of a Hong Kong cafe.
I am so happy to read that this brings you back to your memories of sitting in a HK cafe! This is music to my ears. Thank you for making my recipe Jackie!
Made this. Super quick AND DELICIOUS!!!
Thanks so much for making my recipe Lucy!!