Thai Drunken Noodles aka Pad Kee Mao. Savoury, flavourful noodles with a hint of spice and a wonderful taste of basil. Perfect for dinner or lunch. Ready in 30 minutes.
There are many ways to cook Thai Drunken Noodles as you can alternate between the proteins and the noodles types but I am showing you a fairly simple and delicious one with ingredients that are more accessible if you don’t live close to an Asian grocer.
I love these noodles. They’re chewy and flavourful thanks to that garlic spice with the savouriness of the pork belly and sauces. And that basil addition is a must! It offers such wonderful aroma to this dish.
In Thailand, they use chicken, holy basil and bird’s eye chillies for this recipe. But for this version, since it is a more “accessible” version I’m using pork belly (or any meat of your choice), normal basil and normal chilies. So I can’t say that this recipe is truly authentic but it’s really delicious and easy to make!
Other recipes you may like!
Watch how I made it!
For this recipe
You will need the following ingredients:
400 grams rice noodles, soaked in hot boiling water
1 cup pork belly, chopped
2 chillies, finely chopped
1 cup basil
2 tbsp garlic
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 cup water
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce *this was not included in the video
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp cane sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
Pin for Later!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Thai Drunken Noodles recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Thai Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao)
- 400 grams dried rice noodles soaked in hot boiling water
- 1 cup pork belly chopped
- 3 tbsp red chili finely chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- In a small bowl, mix your noodle sauce together.
- In a large bowl with warm-hot water, soak your dry rice noodles until loosened for about 5 minutes. Strain in a colander.
- In a hot non-stick pan set over medium high heat, add avocado oil. Then add in garlic and chillies. Sauteed until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in pork belly and cook until 3/4 of the way cooked.
- Throw in your noodles, noodle sauce, and water. Cook until noodles are fully loosened and soft and chewy (about 7-10 minutes).
- Lastly throw in your basil and give it a good mix. Serve immediately and enjoy!