Cantonese Vegetable Chow Mein. Delicious, easy and takes only 20 minutes of your time if you can believe it! Perfect for dinner, lunch or leftovers!
The noodles are fried in oil and as a result, become so crispy! But when they are topped off with that luscious thick vegetable stir fry sauce, it’s pure heaven in your mouth! I love the contrasting textures of the crunchy noodles against the softened veggies. This is why this dish is so popular in Asia and there are many renditions of it. But the one I’m sharing is totally vegetarian and packed with a variety of veggies! Probably the easiest way to get in your fiber intake if you ask me.
For this recipe
For my Cantonese Vegetable Chow Mein, you will need cantonese style steamed chow mein, Yu Choy, green onions, red bell pepper, carrot, snap peas, garlic. You’ll also need avocado oil, vegetable broth, vegetarian stir fry sauce (or oyster sauce if you’re not vegetarian), cornstarch and water.
The sauce is also a versatile one that you can use for so many stirfry recipes! The ratio of vegetarian stir fry sauce or oyster sauce against cornstarch is 3:1 and you just need to whisk in some cold water!
You can purchase the vegetarian stir fry sauce at most Asian grocers or online. I usually buy this version from Lee Kum Kee:
On a personal note
I have really fallen back in love with Asian food again! It’s so delicious and I notice many of my readers seem to enjoy them over my western recipes. Many people think Asian cuisine is challenging but it’s really not! The sauce combinations are usually the same and once you get a hang of it, it’s like practice makes perfect!
So I hope you give more of my asian recipes a try! Specifically this Cantonese Vegetable Chow Mein. You will not be disappointed.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Cantonese Vegetable Chow Mein
- 2 cups Yu Choy chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped 1 inch long
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into matchsticks
- 1 small carrot peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 cup snap peas ends chopped off
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 454 g Cantonese style steamed chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup Vegetable broth
Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 tbsp Vegetarian Stir Fry Sauce or oyster sauce if you're not vegetarian
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for stir fry sauce.
- In a deep pan set over medium high heat, add avocado oil. Add in the noodles. Reduce heat to medium, fry on each side for 2 -3 minutes until golden crispy brown. Slide noodles onto a large serving plate.
- In the same oiled pan set over medium heat, add in all vegetables and garlic. Saute until soft. Add vegetable broth and cook for 1 minute.
- Then pour in stir fry sauce and bring to a quick boil. Once the sauce thickens, immediately pour over crispy noodles.