Honey Sesame Chicken. Crispy fried chicken smothered in a thick sweet honey sesame sauce. A delicious main dish for dinner or lunch when paired with rice and leafy greens. Simple to make at home. Ready in 45 minutes.
This dish really brings me back to the days when I use to go to University and during my lunch break, I’d head over to the mall to grab quick Chinese take out. It would be something like this with fried or steamed rice with delicious, stir-fried veggies. I would devour it in seconds before my next class started.
Every now and then, I will make this honey sesame chicken stir fry. I’ll be honest, my husband and I love anything battered and covered in sauce. We love having it with plain rice and veggies as the combination is so simple yet truly hits the spot! This honey sesame chicken recipe is a great Friday night meal if you don’t feel like ordering Chinese takeout especially during these times when we’re all-in lockdown mode.
If you’re not a meat eater, you can easily substitute the chicken with oyster mushrooms or tofu so you don’t miss out on this delicious dish! The batter is eggless so it’s easy to create a vegetarian version of this dish.
Easy to make!
This honey and sesame chicken stir fry is easy to make at home as you’re coating chicken in a simple batter, frying the chicken and then simmering your sauce to coat that fried chicken. Perhaps the hardest part is controlling yourself from eating the fried chicken before you cover it in sauce!
Tips to make the best honey and sesame chicken thighs
- Use fresh chicken thigh meat. It’s more forgiving and less drying if you possibly overcook it in the oil. However, if you’re looking for a healthier option, opt for chicken breast.
- Use quality honey. It can make a difference when it comes to taste.
- Dry your chicken thighs with a paper towel before coating in batter. This will help the batter stick better.
- Do not overcrowd your chicken when frying. In fact, I’d recommend frying in 3 batches.
- Scoop out any crispy or brown bits left in the oil as this will turn the oil brown and give it a taste which will transfer to your chicken.
- Double fry the chicken to make it extra crispy. However, if you want to make this healthier, only fry once.
- Pre-mix your honey sesame sauce prior to simmering it and simmer it until it’s really thick to make it stick to the chicken without making it soggy.
Is Sesame Chicken healthy?
I wouldn’t say it’s a health food as it’s deep fried in oil and covered in a sweet thick sauce.
What's the difference between sesame chicken and General Tso's chicken?
Sesame chicken isn't spicy like General Tso chicken and it also has a more nuttier taste due to the sesame seeds and oil.
Is sesame chicken the same as teriyaki chicken?
No. Sesame chicken is usually battered and fried in oil, then coated in a thick sweet sesame sauce. On the other hand, teriyaki chicken is usually grilled or pan fried and then glazed with a sweet sauce.
What is sesame chicken sauce made of?
My honey sesame sauce is made of honey, sugar, Chinese cooking wine, sesame oil, regular soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic, rice vinegar, cornstarch and water.
Is there another name for sesame chicken?
No, you unfortunately won't be able to find this dish in Asia but there is another one similar to it called "La Zi Ji" or Chongqing Chicken.
Other recipes you may like!
For this recipe
You will need the following honey sesame chicken ingredients:
6 chicken skinless boneless chicken sliced into bite size pieces
3 cups avocado or vegetable oil
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup all purpose flour
¾ tbsp baking soda
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp salt
1 cup cold water
½ cup honey
1 ½ tbsp sugar
2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 ½ tbsp regular soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp cornstarch
¾ cup water
How to make Honey Sesame Chicken
Slice your chicken into bite size pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together your batter ingredients.
Then in a small bowl, whisk together your sauce ingredients until well combined.
In a deep pan or wok, pour 3 cup of vegetable or avocado oil. Bring it to medium high heat. To check if oil is hot enough, place a wooden chopstick into the oil and check for bubbles at tip of stick. Once you see bubbles, it’s ready for frying.
Carefully add battered chicken into oil and cook in three batches in order not to overcrowd it. Cook for 5-6 minutes until golden and the middle is cooked (no longer fleshy or pink). For extra crispiness (optional): Double fry chicken again until golden brown, about 2 minutes. You may need to add more oil.
Once your chicken is cooked, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
Remove oil and leave 1 tsp in pan. Over medium heat pour honey sesame sauce and simmer until it bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes.
Next add back in fried chicken and mix until each piece is coated in sauce. Enjoy!
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Honey Sesame Chicken recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed Honey Sesame Chicken Thighs, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you've made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @ChristieAtHome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating for my honey sesame garlic chicken, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Honey Sesame Chicken
- 6 chicken skinless boneless sliced into bite size pieces
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup honey
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 ½ tbsp regular soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- Slice your chicken into bite size pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together your batter ingredients.
- Then in a small bowl, whisk together your sauce ingredients until well combined.
- In a deep pan or wok, pour 3 cup of vegetable or avocado oil. Bring it to medium high heat. To check if oil is hot enough, place a wooden chopstick into the oil and check for bubbles at tip of stick. Once you see bubbles, it’s ready for frying.
- Carefully add battered chicken into oil and cook in three batches in order not to overcrowd it. Cook for 5-6 minutes until golden and the middle is cooked (no longer fleshy or pink). For extra crispiness (optional): Double fry chicken again until golden brown, about 2 minutes. You may need to add more oil.
- Once your chicken is cooked, transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Remove oil and leave 1 tsp in pan. Over medium heat pour honey sesame sauce and simmer until it bubbles and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Next add back in fried chicken and mix until each piece is coated in sauce. Enjoy!