Chinese Shrimp Omelette. A silky-smooth savoury egg omelette with bouncy chewy shrimp and scallions. Ready in just 10 minutes.
Ready in 10 mins or less!
This is the best Chinese prawn omelette as it's packed with flavour and easy and quick to make. This side dish comes together in just 10 minutes or less. It’s a staple in many Chinese households and tastes incredible when cooked in a smoky wok. Great as a side for dinner or lunch.
Served in many Asian Households
I remember my mom would make this Asian shrimp omelette for us a lot! Especially when she was out of dinner ideas as it was so quick, delicious and it went so well with hot steamed rice. It’s one of those dishes where each household has their own way of making it and this is my version of it.
What does it taste like?
The flavour from the shrimp egg-cellently compliments the smooth eggs. The sharpness from the green onions, the nuttiness of the sesame oil and the saltiness from the soy sauce make this egg dish irresistible! The texture of the eggs are also so smooth and silky.
If you like a Chinese omelette that is less smooth and silky, cook this on high heat and the browned omelette tastes just as good! Especially if you cook this omelette in a well seasoned wok as the wok gives off a smoky flavour, also known as, “wok hei” which means breathe of wok.
This Chinese egg shrimp omelette is the perfect recipe if you have a lot of eggs and frozen shrimp.
Easy to make!
This 6-ingredient Chinese shrimp and egg omelette is REALLY easy to make! Whisk the eggs, scallions, soy sauce and sesame oil together until smooth. Then in a pan over medium heat, fry your shrimp until 50% cooked. Then lower the heat and pour your egg mixture in. Use a spatula to pull the edges of the omelette inward, continually doing this until your eggs are cooked, silky and glossy.
What You'll Need
You will need the following ingredients for this Chinese style shrimp omelette:
- shrimp, peeled and deveined
- green onion, finely chopped
- regular soy sauce
- sesame oil
- cooking oil
How do you make a shrimp omelette?
Below are instructions on how to make a Chinese prawn omelette.
In a mixing bowl, crack and whisk together the eggs, green onion, soy sauce and sesame oil together until smooth for about 30 seconds.
Then in a well seasoned wok or non-stick pan, bring it to medium heat. Add cooking oil. If you’re cooking in a wok, allow the oil to smoke (if you’re not using a wok skip this step).
Next toss in your shrimp and fry until pink and curled. Then lower the heat to LOW setting.
Pour your egg mixture in.
Use a spatula to pull the edges of the omelette inward, continually doing this until your eggs are cooked, silky and glossy. Once cooked, remove off heat and enjoy!
Below are tips on making this Chinese shrimp omelette:
- Source quality eggs that are fresh and bright in yolk colour. I like buying the ones with free-run kind with omega 3’s as they have orange yolks.
- Use black tiger or a larger white shrimp and get the peeled deveined ones to make your life easier.
- Finely slice the scallions and pre-mix this into your egg mixture along with the soy sauce and sesame oil until well combined. We want every ounce of that egg to taste of that savoury flavour.
- Only fry your shrimp just until curled and slightly pink, about 50%. Do not over cook.
- Keep your heat low when you pour in your eggs for silky smooth eggs that are not overcooked.
What's the difference between omelette and foo yung?
The difference lies in the ingredients between the two dishes. Egg foo young contains iconic ingredients, like bean sprouts and sometimes is paired with a sauce over top. An omelette is usually made of scrambled eggs with a variety of ingredients and in this case, shrimp with green onions.
Are omelettes from the Chinese healthy?
They totally can be if you add vegetables to lighten the omelette, such as bean sprouts.
Other Egg recipes you may like!
If you enjoyed this Chinese shrimp omelet recipe you may enjoy these recipes:
Well, I hope you give my Chinese Shrimp Omelette a try! It always excites me when you make my recipes and I hope this is one you try and most importantly, enjoy.
Sharing is caring
If you enjoyed my egg shrimp omelet, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture of your re-creation and make sure to tag me @ChristieAtHome in your feed or stories as I would love to see it!
Did you enjoy it?
If you genuinely enjoyed my prawn omelette, please leave a 5-star review. I would greatly appreciate it 🙂
Easy 10-min. Chinese Shrimp Omelette
- In a mixing bowl, crack and whisk together the eggs, green onions, soy sauce and sesame oil together until smooth for about 30 seconds. Do not overmix.
- Then in a well seasoned wok or non-stick pan, bring it to medium heat. Add cooking oil. If you’re cooking in a wok, allow the oil to smoke (if you’re not using a wok skip this step).
- Next toss in your shrimp and fry until 50% cooked. Do not cook all the way through. Then lower the heat to LOW setting.
- Pour your egg mixture in. Use a spatula to pull the edges of the omelette inward, continually doing this until your eggs are cooked, silky and glossy. Once cooked, remove off heat and enjoy! If you like your omelette more cooked, you can brown the omelette and it'll taste really delicious as well.