Today I am sharing a delicious 30-minute recipe for One-Pot Hainan Chicken Rice. It’s perfect for dinner or lunch. The chicken is so deliciously silky chicken dish with tasty sauces.
It’s actually one of my all time favourite meals because it’s so simple yet savoury. My One-Pot Hainan Chicken Rice is also SUPER easy to make as it’s all done in one pot so there are less dishes for you to wash!
Other Chicken Recipes you may like!
About this dish
This is an Asian classic dish that usually takes more than 30 minutes to cook the chicken alone.
However, my healthy version uses quality ingredients and only takes less than 30 minutes to make in one pot and the return is one fulfilling meal.
The chicken is boiled over the rice while being infused with chicken broth, ginger, garlic, green onion and soy sauce. It’s a healthy dish and perfect for long days after work.
Why is this dish such a favourite in Asia?
“In Singapore, Malaysia, and other Southeast Asian countries, Hainan chicken rice has achieved last-meal cult status, and the dish is known for the clean taste and relative simplicity of its components—poached chicken alongside a bowl of chicken-fat-slicked rice and cool dipping sauce. When I was growing up in Hong Kong, this was my hands-down favorite meal. And why not? It was unfussy, it was homey, it was skin-on chicken.” –Saveur Magazine
For this recipe
I always use certified humane chicken for all my meat recipes. It’s important to me for several reasons. Chickens are raised without hormones or antibiotics. They live in a cage free environment and can live happier lives. They’re not as stressed as caged chickens so we ourselves are not taking in those stress toxins. It’s a benefit for both you and the chicken so it’s something I definitely recommend. The price point is only a couple dollars more but it’s worthwhile to your health and for the welfare of these animals.
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my One-Pot Hainan Chicken Rice recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I also earn from qualifying purchases through additional affiliate programs
Pin this for future!
One-Pot Hainan Chicken Rice
- Non-stick pot with a lid
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup jasmine white rice Note: use a measuring cup not a rice cooker cup
- 1.5 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 inches ginger peeled & chopped
- 1 stalk green onion chopped in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- With 1.5 tsp of salt, rub it onto the skin of the chicken until they're shiny and clean. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a deep non-stick pot, rinse your rice with water a few times until water runs clear. Pour out the water. Then pour in the chicken broth. Add in olive oil, soy sauce, chopped ginger, garlic cloves, and remaining salt. Mix well.
- With the skin side down, place the chicken on top of the rice and broth mixture. Then place the green onion over top. Cover with a lid.
- Set the covered pot on high heat until it reaches a boil. Once it comes to a boil, immediately lower heat to a low and cook for 12 minutes. After the 12 minute mark, shut off the heat but leave the covered pot on the stove to steam out the residual broth.
- Once cooked, remove the green onion, ginger and garlic cloves. Slice your chicken. Serve with some sweet chili sauce and enjoy!