Udon Carbonara. A delicious, creamy dish with an asian twist on a classic Italian dish. Filling and totally indulgent. This dish only takes 20 minutes to make!
This dish with a twist comes from Japan. But the sauce idea is from Italy. The Japanese just replaced the noodles with Udon, which a is a popular noodle.
It is very filling thanks to the thick Udon noodles and the sauce is so creamy and rich thanks to the bacon and egg.
For this recipe
You will need:
4 frozen udon cakes
1.5 cups bacon, chopped
2 tsp garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese, of your choice
Salt to taste
Optional: seasoned seaweed cut into strips
Tips for making the best Udon Carbonara
- Have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go! This will make it easier on your and also ensure that your noodles don’t go soggy from cooking for too long
- Do not boil your udon noodles. Even if they’re from frozen. Just blanch them in hot boiling water to loosen and that’s it. Strain immediately. As they will still cook in the pan.
- Whisk your cheese and garlic into your eggs
- When adding the egg sauce into your udon noodles, remove the udon noodles off the heat. In fact, allow it to cool a bit before pouring the sauce and then mix quickly. The reason for this is to prevent the eggs from solidifying and not remaining as a liquid sauce.
Where can I buy some of these ingredients?
Udon Noodles. I recommend the frozen kind for best taste. These can be found in the frozen aisle of any asian grocer.
Seasoned seaweed. Most asian grocers.
Give it a try!
Well I hope you give my Udon Carbonara recipe a try! It always excites me when you guys make my recipes and I hope this is one you try.
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! Take a picture if you’ve made my recipe and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Made this recipe and loved it?
If you could leave a star rating, I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Thanks so much!
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this blog.
Other Recipes You May Like!
- 4 frozen udon cakes
- 4 eggs whisked
- 1.5 cups bacon chopped
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, parmesan or pecorino cheese grated
- Salt to taste
- Optional: seasoned seaweed cut into strips
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, cheese, garlic.
- In a pot, blanch your frozen food on noodles until they have loosened. Do not boil your noodles. Strain immediately.
- In a nonstick pan, fry your bacon bits until crispy and the fat has been rendered off. Scoop out your bacon and set aside. Pour the remaining oil into a bowl to compost later.
- Into the same pan toss in udon noodles. Add a splash of water to loosen them. Add bacon back in. Cook until noodles begin to steam.
- Remove noodles off heat. Wait about a minute for the noodles to cool down. Then pour in your egg sauce and quickly mix so the eggs do not cook. Season with salt to taste.
- Quickly transfer to your serving plate. Garnish with seasoned seaweed strips.