Vegan Coconut Mango Sago. This Asian dessert is so delicious, light and refreshing! It’s a classic in Chinese cuisine and every Asian country has it’s own version of it.
This is actually one of my most favourite desserts on the planet! And that’s a bold statement. The combination of the sweet mango flavours with the creamy coconut taste along with the soft bubbly tapioca makes it a wonderful dessert. Also, I appreciate how it’s not heavy or too sweet and it’s just right for me!
Other recipes you may like!
Coconut Mango Sago is usually served at many asian dessert cafes. There are many versions of it, including a more soupier based version but it all tastes very similar and you will not be disappointed.
The versions served at the restaurant are typically not vegan or dairy-free. Asian dessert cafes use evaporated milk made with dairy but I was able to find coconut-based evaporated milk by Nature’s Charm at my Korean Grocery Mart called H-Mart. I’ve linked it here so you can purchase it online or look for this particular one:
I’m not sponsored by them but they do make some incredible products such as their Sweet Condensed Coconut Milk as well.
This dessert also contains sago or tapioca pearls.
What is Tapioca?
Tapioca is a starch extracted from cassava root. It consists of almost pure carbs and contains very little protein, fiber, or nutrients. Tapioca has become popular recently as a gluten-free alternative to wheat and other grains [Source: Healthline].
It’s commonly used in Asian desserts and it possesses a wonderful soft chewy texture. They are also sooo cute!
Where I can buy Tapioca Pearls?
You can usually source it at most Asian grocers in the dessert aisle. The one you want to look for are the tiny ones not the big brown ones. You can also purchase it online and I’ve linked it here as well:
This recipe was also inspired by Omnivore’s Cookbook. I adapted it to make it vegan or dairy-free. You should check out her recipe blog as she has amazing recipes in Asian cuisine!
Well I hope you give this Vegan Coconut Mango Sago a try!
Thanks for visiting my blog! If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your family and friends or on social media! If you make recipes, take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @christieathome in your feed or stories so I can share your creation in my stories with credits to you!
Disclaimer: I do make a small commission each time you purchase through my affiliate link but it does not impact your purchase price.
Pin for later!
Vegan Coconut Mango Sago
- 1/4 cup small tapioca pearls
- 2 large mangoes peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup Coconut evaporated milk
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Mint for garnish
- In a small pot, filled with water add tapioca pearls. Boil for 15-20 minutes or according to packet instructions. Strain and submerge strainer of pearls in water so the pearls do not dry out.
- In a blender, add half of the diced mango, leaving the other half for later. Pour in coconut evaporated milk. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk up your coconut milk until well combined.
- When ready to assemble, add a layer of tapioca, followed by mango pudding and a layer of coconut milk. Add diced mango on top and garnish with fresh mint leaves.